Speaker Reconing in OC/LA reccomendations

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by hobageeba, Jun 16, 2008.

1. hobageeba

hobageeba Member

I rescued two vintage 30's from a cab that was neglected and left outside for a while, and I'm wondering if I can salvage them by reconing them. So I guess the first question would be, would I be able to recone a speaker that has been wet and left to the elements? There doesn't seem to be much rust or anything, but the cones definitely look like they've been wet. The second question is, does anyone know of any good places preferably in Orange County or even LA? This is also assuming that reconing a speaker is cheaper than just buying new ones. Thanks a lot!

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

You could try Orange County Speaker Repair. There are a few others in the area. Once you figure in gas and the recone, it gets pretty close to what you can get a Vintage 30 for.

3. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

+1 on Orange County Speaker, but also agreed you can buy new ones for about the same $$. The other folks I trust are Freeman-Tuell - who at last check had lower rates than OC, but you lose that in shipping to Texas.

4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

+1 for OC Speaker. There is also Upland Loudspeaker Service in the Inland Empire, just north of OC. He is a regular contributer here on TGP under the name edgewound.

5. hobageeba

hobageeba Member