Speaker Reconing - where?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tildeslash, Dec 4, 2005.

1. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

I have a pair of original Marshall Greenbacks that has a tear in the speaker cone. I don't think it can be repair. Looks like it needs to be reconed. Who would you recommend?

Thanks.

2. landru64

landru64 Member

where do you live?

3. tildeslash

Northern New Jersey, USA.

4. landru64

landru64 Member

i can't remember if there was anyone good in nyc when i lived there, but you can't go wrong with orange county speaker www.speakerrepair.com. i've had a ton of stuff done there, even when i didn't live nearby.

5. tildeslash

These guys tell me they will recone but the only thing left of the original speaker after reconing is the magnet and the frame. They replace everthing else.

That does not sound like it's worth it.

I don't see what's the point.

6. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

the point is too make it sound good again............not an expert, but pretty sure thats what re-coning is (rebuilding the speaker)

another place to try is the Speaker Surgeon in Houston, run by TGP member Jeff Seal

7. tildeslash

If all I am getting after reconing is the original magnet and frame. I don't see how that is great. Yes an old magnet is fundamental to a sound but it has to be more than just an old magnet. I am thinking that an old magnet cannot contribute that much to the sound. At this point I am basically replacing everything the speaker.

Help me.

8. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

The only other things they could leave are the spider and the voice coil. What are you expecting from a recone?

9. tildeslash

I am expecting a new cone. That's is. Hence recone. :)

10. aeolian

aeolian Member

The cone is the only thing that wears out or breaks down. If the cone gets warped, the voice coil will have to be replaced anyway. As long as the voice coil is the same specs; weight, material, windings, etc... Then that part of the motor assembly will perform exactly the same as before the recone.

The problem is matching the original cone characteristics. Celestion makes a few kits available to reconers, but not all variations are still made. OCSR is a reputable place. If the exact match parts are available, they'll tell you. If not, you might want to talk to someone like Ted Weber to see if there are other alternatives.

11. tildeslash

Ted Weber says go to Orange County guys. So that settles it. I am selling my speakers as is and then just buy some new ones. Yeah I know but what you gonna do.

Thank you guys - you are the best and I love this forum.

12. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

I have good results repairing some huge tears in vintage speakers using the glue/tissue/2 ply paper towel fix.
    It might be worth a try and cost is less than a dollar!

13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

If the cone material is still present i.e. not ripped away, DO try a patch first. Nothing to lose. Silicone seal can work on small tears.