Speaker reconing

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by bloozeman1, Mar 14, 2019.

1. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

I bought a 66 super reverbnin great shape and ended up swapping out the original alnico speakers. 3 of the 4 speakers had the dust cap peeling off of the center of the speaker. Does that mean they need reconed? The cone paper is perfect with no rips holes or tears. Just 3 of the center caps are peeling away. Is it worth getting fixed?

2. zenas

zenas Member

If they're otherwise ok you can just reglue the dust caps. I've done it with super glue type stuff but there's probably something better and someone here should know.

3. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

You wouldn't have photos of the drivers to show us, would you? Probably you just have to reglue them, though sometimes they need to come off to come on again properly.

Steppin' Wolfe likes this.
  4. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

If there is no voice coil rub, then the dust caps can be reglued. I would suggest vacuuming the coil gap before regluing. This should be done carefully...and the caps would need to be removed as Humble Texan Fan notes. I use a speaker repair glue that I get at my local electronics supply. If you have a reputable experienced speaker repair service anywhere nearby, it might be advisable to let them do this refurbishing.

bloozeman1 likes this.
  5. zenas

zenas Member

What is this "local electronics supply" you speak of? :)

6. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

Exactly that...a local firm that sells electronic supplies at retail prices...resistors, caps, cables, fuses, tools, more than I can list and whatever the market needs. There were two of these here, but one went out of business over ten years ago.

7. zenas

zenas Member

Yeah up here we used to have Radio Shack, about 50 shades of worthless. Now I can't even get slow blow fuses locally. :)

8. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

Yeah, this place is way beyond what a Radio Shack used to be even when Radio Shack was of use to us. I am a minor customer for this business as I buy wholesale most of the time, but in a pinch they have or can get almost anything I need.

zenas likes this.