Speaker Replacement Help - Fender Super Sonic 22

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eriwebnerr, May 16, 2011.

1. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Hi All,
    Please bear with me for the very brief background. I just got a Fender Super Sonic 22 and I really like it. However, I am experiencing two issues:

1. Too much high end - I'm not sure if ice picky is the right word, but I definitely find myself dialing back the treble quite a bit on both channels with singles and HBs

2. Sounds a bit unrefined on the clean channel with certain dirt boxes in front - Especially if there is a hint of a fuzz quality in the OD, it comes out as fizz. I know and Fender and fuzz don't typically match, but I think this can be improved. These pedals sound very good on the "burn" channel though.

So I'm considering a speaker swap to tame the high end a bit and maybe smooth out the tone a tad. For these reasons I was considering:

- G12-65 type - very likely the WGS ET65, but the Emi Tonespotter or Tonker sound good too

- Emi Swamp Thang - I've had this speaker before and really liked it, huge low end and restrained top - maybe too scooped? Esp for this amp?

- Cannabis Rex - I don't know much about this speaker, but many like it and it sounds in the ball park of what I am looking for

Stock, the SS22 comes with an Emi special design for Fender "Lightning Bolt". I can't find out much about this speaker, but my impression is that it is probably a lot like the Celestion G12P-80 in the Fender HotRod III amps. Intended to cover a lot of sonic territory, clean to OD and not impart too much character if its own (i.e. kind of sterile and a bit too crisp and strident).

Lastly, this is a 1x12 open back combo amp of course, so that will factor into the speaker equation.
    Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

2. nick911sc

nick911sc Member

I'm using the Cannabis Rex with my Bandmaster reverb and I can't imagine being happier.

3. incidentslip

incidentslip Member

have you tried an attenuator...i have one of the original 60w supersonic's...love it to death because it is the only amp that i've tried, and i've tried all the fender vintage re-issues, that actually behaves like the old amps(i.e. turn it past 4 on the clean, and it breaks up nicely. compresses a bit, and gets good and greasy), and mine was a bit bright, and brittle too at first. What i did was, work the speaker cone and surround to take away that brittleness and upper mid honk, and added an attenuator to get the amp into it's sweet spot. I've gotten nothing but compliments on my tone from everyone that's heard or played the amp, and that's with the big 4(tele, strat, hum's and p90's) with no re-eq'ing...once you're in that sweet spot, you're good to go on both the vintage channels.

4. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Tell me more if you can - what other speaker would you most closely compare the Rex to?

I was interested in this speaker because I felt like it might help with the high end but not attenuate it too much - i.e the clean channel would still sound sparkly
    Do you agree?

5. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I was thinking about speaker break in right after I posted. What did you do when you say work the speaker? A breaking process or just playing through it at volume?
    Also, the 60 watter comes with V30's correct? I hadn't factored that in, but it might be a good option.

6. nick911sc

nick911sc Member

It's hard for me to compare it to other speakers. Obviously nothing like a V30.

If I had to describe the speaker I'd say that the highs are so sweet and the speaker is smooth with no harshness. Nice natural speaker overdrive when pushed that just pairs perfectly with the amp.

7. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Hmm ok - I'm really leaning C-Rex now. I've been reading many raves about what they do in a Deluxe. Taming the high fizz without killing the shimmer. I'm also reading up on the Jensen Neo 12-100. That looks like a more hi-fi option, but both are very interesting and the prices are great.
    At this point I've narrowed it down to those 2 - thanks for the help! I'll report back.

8. 8len8

8len8 Member

I'm using a Scumback H75-8HP 65.

9. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

I have a SS60, one of the original models. Way too bright and fizzy at first. I went with a WGS ET65 and a beamblocker. That helped. Then some NOS Mullards. That helped more. I like the amp sometimes, and hate it other times. Mainly because of the EQ range. I find it hard to get the brightness I want without fizz in the burn channel. Lower value tubes like 12at7s help as well. A Demeter Fat-Boost in the front end really matches and compliments these amps well.

I thought the newly released 22 and 60 models were supposed to be re-voiced to be a bit warmer??

Somewhat OT, but I just put a Jensen Jet Tornado Neo into a Fender Mustang III. It most definitely tamed some of the digital fizz and seems like a super cool speaker. But again, I still hate modelers....even the highly thought of and hyped Mustang series suffers from that brittle, plastic, and strange upper mid tone that is always present in every patch and can't be dialed out with the onboard EQ. (most noticeable when you get some stage volume levels going)

10. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I believe they are - on the OD channel. I don't get any fizz on the OD channel with pedals or with out, although it too can get bright. My issues are really with the clean channel.
    I was scared to mess with the speaker bc i love the burn channel so much, but I really want to get more mileage out of the clean channel.

11. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

You may want to try the Demeter Fat Boost. It is a very subtle low mid thickening effect that is easier to use than an EQ. It certainly helps my Supersonic. That is the only time I even use that pedal. 95% of my gigs are with Bogners, and they don't need any help in the low-mids.

I found all 3 channels of my original Supersonic to be just slightly off what I would like to hear, but if you already love the burn channel, you may be able to get it right on without a speaker change.

12. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Well, I went with the Cannabis Rex and man, I am pleased! I was a bit afraid that it would attenuate the highs too much and I would sacrifice the sparkle with single coils for the smoothness I was looking for. But that's not the case, it actually seems to bring out the highs more because it is accenting the right highs and dampening the shrill ones. Really a perfect match for a bright Blackface type amp.

Getting the speaker out of the SS22 is a real pain in the cheeks though! I had to remove both back panels, 1 preamp tube, and the spring reverb tank! They really pack everything in there.

But overall, the gain channel sounds just as good as before and I find I can use my tone controls on both channels more effectively. Thanks "nick911sc" for the advice! I really don't think I would have considered this speaker with as much weight if you hadn't chimed in. This lead me to over threads and experiences with using this speaker in Fender amps.

I'm really looking forward to breaking this in and getting a it even smoother and looser.

13. TexMax

TexMax Member

So interesting to hear other people's perspectives. I have had my 22 a week now and even with the speaker being new and a little stiff, this amp is FAT sounding to me! I also use single coils and to me, this amp has just the most perfect fat yet bright/chime-y/shimmery clean tones. And I feel like it will only get better as the speaker continues to break in......
    One thing is for certain though, the Supersonic 22 is one fantastic sounding amp! I liked the original 60 watt 112 quite a bit, but not enough to buy one, but the 22 really has surpassed all the hopes I had for it when it came out.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Those stock Fender speakers are horrific....Any good Celestion, Eminence or WGS will sound better...I've found that Cannibis Rex's work well with taming the high end that most all Fender amps have

15. davetcan

davetcan Member

I've had one for a couple of weeks and was just getting prepared to sell it as no matter what I tried I couldn't get rid of what "I" perceived as a harsh treble spike. Swapped tubes, swapped the speaker to a well broken in Scumback H55, added a beam blocker, no luck. hated it. Liked my Super Champ XD better :) The solution turned out to be a Boss GE-7 in the fx loop. Unbelivable. The slightest reduction in the high registers has completely transformed this amp for me. It also allows me to attenuate the signal a bit and crank the amps volume more. I really couldn't be happier. Thank God I had all this stuff just laying around :) I'm back with the stock speaker and tubes and it sounds great.

16. mmaatt25

mmaatt25 Member

I swapped out the OE speaker for a Cannabis Rex, big improvement, but now I'm thinking it's sounds like someones thrown a blanket over it, very wooly and to much bass.
    I've got an 8ohm G12H30 I'm going to put in it to see what that sounds.
    Anyone tried a G12H30, I see they get fitted to Deluxe Reverbs quite a lot?

17. shaun

shaun Member

played the super sonic 22 thru a small cab with a weber 50 watt, alnico blue dog. Sounded great to me and others. I wish that amp was available as a head!

18. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Bringing this thread back from stasis. I had the Cannibus Rex in for a while, recently Ive gone back to the stock speaker. I wish I could blend the two. the CR had more vibe, but the stock speaker is very detailed.
    The CR is a little too smooth and woofy and the stock speaker is a little too punchy and bright. I'm looking for some other suggestions - I'm thinking V30 or Alnico Gold? Thoughts?

19. shooto

shooto Member

hmmmm...:munch

I'm not that great at picking out the nuances of speaker tones but the Fender Lightning Bolt sounded pretty similar to a Private Jack to me

20. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

I swapped mine out for an Eminence Maverick. That lasted about two weeks and I put the stock speaker back in. I think Fender did a good job matching the right speaker to this amp. Just let it break in before making any changes.