Speaker Replacement Opinions (Weber & WGS content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lt_Core, May 18, 2011.

1. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Member

I just bought a very nice Avatar Contemporary 2x12 cab from a fellow TGP'r. However, the speakers sound a bit buzzy/fizzy/boxy at gig levels with a lot of gain through my Peavey Classic 50 head and Budda SDII 30, + pedals.

Currently it's loaded with a Weber Silver Bell & Weber Blue Dog (both ceramic 50 watt speakers). I'm not an expert but I don't think those are great speakers for rock music, in general, but maybe I'm wrong here. I've been looking into WGS Speakers like the Veteran 30, Green Beret or Reaper. I play a mixture of rock music from the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's. I love a nice tight low-end for palm muting punk songs. I'm not playing metal, just classic rock to hard rock. I think the Veteran 30 might be the best bet for what I'm looking for.

I'll sell the Webers when I find the right speakers. Thoughts & opinions?

2. secretsoundz

secretsoundz Member

Webers aren't meant for rock? I use Webers (both Blue Dogs and Silver Bells) and play everything from classic rock to punk and metal. They sound great to me!

3. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I was a doubter, but finally gave in and bought a Scumback H75 100 watter recently for a specific 1x12 need/application. Speaker is still in the break in period but it sounds great! Jim is great to work with as well. I understand that they are Weber speakers built to Jim's specs. I have owned a LOT of speakers over the years and it is certainly one of if not the best speaker I have owned.

4. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Member

Really? I'm somewhat of a speaker newbie. Always had Vintage 30's in my amps & cabs. Maybe it was more of the booming cabinet than anything else. Hmmmmm. I used the cab for the first time this past weekend and even our sound company didn't think it sounded great, at all. Used my same amps & pedals as always. Very fizzy & boxy for some reason.

5. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Ha, I hope the Blue Dog and Silver Bell are good for rock (Muse, Radiohead, U2, etc.), because I have a pair on order.

6. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I've used nothing but a Weber Silver Bell/Blue Dog combo in my 2x12 cabs for the last 4 or five years. I've also only been in rock bands. I think they sound GREAT. It's possible that they are a bad match to that particular cab...but man, those are fabulous speakers.
    You sure they aren't blown? Are they broken in, or are they new?

Additionally, those Avatar Contemporary cabs are basically Orange 2x12 cabs, and those are designed around Vintage 30's. The WGS Veteran 30's would be a safe bet if you do change speakers.

7. Evansexcellent

Evansexcellent Member

You may have already done this but before you look at new speakers make sure the current speakers aren't loose. After gigging with my Avatar for 2 years I thought something happened to the speakers... blah Ended up opening the back and the heavy gigging / in/out of the van the speakers were super loose. Might not be the case for you but thought I'd share.