Speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Soundhound, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I'm going to try another speaker in a 112 combo I got recently. it's the George Dennis Might Mouse, which comes with a G12k-100, and I'm going to try a G12h30 I just got.

Any advice for a novice who's all thumbs with this kind of thing? (when I try to hang a picture on the wall it tends to look like someone sprayed the wall with an AK47:) )

Thanks!

2. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Whats the output rating on that amp? Kinda unusual to have a 100 watt rated speaker in an amp if it is safe to put a 30 watt speaker in it's place...

As for the install, its just taking four bolts out and replacing them when yer done. That and soldering two wires the same way as it currently is wired...

3. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

It's 30w RMS, though in some of the literature it has another number in parentheses after the regular output wattage number. In this case it's 30w (48), I guess the 48 means peak, or something? He offers the amp with a Celestion Vintage 30 as an option though, so I'm guessing it's ok. I managed to get the g12h30 in there without killing myself or the amp (so far) and it sounds pretty good. So far.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Member

You know of course that a V30 is rated as 60 watt speaker:confused:

Your probably safe you might want avoid running it flat out. ;)

5. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

arg. no. I am an ignoramus. I spoke to Dave at Avatar when I bought it and he suggested the same thing, just don't dime everything for extended periods and I should be okay. Come to think of it, if I run the amp on say, seven, but have several overdrives going, which can make things A LOT louder, am I going to hurt the G12h30? whoops...

6. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I am not familiar with your amp is that master volume on 7 or input volume? If it is a master it is probably OK. If is a none master then it is marginal. you are pushing your luck. Do you have a attenuator or a dummy load use that knock your wattage in half. :)

7. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

It's input volume I guess, it's non-master volume. I could use an attenuator I suppose, but that would kind of be at cross purposes with putting the other speaker in. Anyone know of a speaker that sounds like the G12h30? (or even bigger and more open, that was what I was looking for to replace the G12k-100 that was in there, and this does sound better, but haven't heard it in rehearsal with the band yet). Red Fang? Wizard?

8. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Scumbag SA12H-75hz-HP it is a 60 watt speaker meant to sound like a pre-rola G12h-30. :dude

9. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

One thing to keep in mind when you mount the speaker is not to tighten it down too much on one side or the other. Finger tighten them all first, then tighten the rest in a criss cross pattern until they're snug.

10. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Yup, that's what I was thinking too. Have you played one? Or any of those eminences, red fangs, etc. I'm looking for nice and big and open, but with nice push. if that makes any sense. The G12h30 seems pretty good at bedroom levels, I'll know better after trying with the band tomorrow night.

11. oxtone

oxtone Member

Soundhound,

Have you heard the MojoTone BV30H 12" speakers? I use two, and they sound great (after using V30's for years).

12. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I have read about them briefly on this board. But don't know much about them. I'll check them out. Nice and big sounding, with some complexity and umpph?

thanks.

13. oxtone

oxtone Member

Soundhound,

They sound big, with good low end, but not the mid hump of the V30's. The high's are sweeter. I've not used V30's since switching to the MojoTones. Savage Amps loads some of their amps with these: www.savageamps.com.

I use the BV30H's with a Mesa Studio Preamp/Simul 2:90 setup. But, I do use a Radial Tonebone Classic tube distortion pedal, and the Mojotones sound great with this rig. The cabs are two Agape' Audio (Sheboygen, WI) ported Theil cabs with closed backs.

14. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Hmmm, thanks guys. Lots of recommends for the scumback speakers. Sounds like a have a little research to do here. Anyone familiar with both the MojoTone BV30H and the Scumbag SA12H-75hz-HP as replacements for the G12h 70th anniversary?

15. doctord02

doctord02 Member

I also like the Scumbag speakers. Tho I dont have experience with the specific model in question. However an email to Jim (scumbag@scumbagamps.com) will get you all the info you need.

Jim's totally cool to work with and delivers a cool product. You might even be a candidate for the speaker he whipped up for me... ask him about the H55hz-HP he cooked up for Dave Nix... Currently I'm the only one that owns any of these... I was replacing G12H100 speakers (which I love anyhow...) and looking for something a bit more articulate and closer to the G12H30 (which I also love). But I also needed more than a 30 watt rating.

You may be OK with the 70th anniversary model that you bought... just understand you are dancing on the edge with it's wattage rating

16. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Well, I tried out the G12h 30 70 anniversary at rehearsal last night and it was kind of dark and thick, too much breakup. the opposite of what I was hoping for, which was a more open, less compressed and midhumpy sound. So I think the G12k-100 goes back in for now. It could have been that I need more time to experiment with it, but I did use less overdrive (Eternity, a few others) but couldn't get it to sound more open. Maybe I just need a speaker with more power handling than the G12H 30...