Speaker seems to break up on the low E string

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by murph7489, May 5, 2016.

1. murph7489

murph7489 Member

My Ampeg seems to break up when I hit the low E string...only the rest of the notes are fine...chords are nice and everything seems to be normal except when I hit the E...I don't believe that its the speaker being blown because it would sound blown on every note (my theory) but it sounds perfect with anything above the E...it is a Ampeg Speaker that is in there and I believe it may be time for some work on the amp. Re tube, caps, maybe even an eminence or Celestion speaker...probably wouldn't hurt...but that would cost of alot of money which at this time I am not quite ready to part with...

Guess I should start an amp fund to service it...
    I am also thinking of buying a fender Super champ x2 love those things..they have such nice clean tones...Fender...

2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

3. UsableThought

UsableThought Supporting Member

Have you tried a different guitar (as T Dizz suggests) to rule the guitar in or out & an external speaker to rule the speaker in or out? Do you have a set of "known good" backup tubes? Start with your basic divide & conquer tactics. And yes, as Tone Meister asks (below), what's the model #??

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  4. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

What Ampeg? Does it have tubes? If so, don't overlook dirty tube sockets or dirty jacks, especially if it has a effects loop SEND (preamp out, line out) or RETURN (power amp in). A dirty RETURN jack can wreak havoc in an amp.

Just "fixed" a tube amp this morning doing the same thing on the A string, no other note than the A. Turned out to be a dirty V2 tube socket.

If it does have tubes, sometimes simply pulling the tubes and re-seating them can clean the sockets and pins enough to determine if that's the problem.

Try cleaning the amp before chasing it with cash.

5. murph7489

murph7489 Member

its the amp in my avatar..Ampeg VT60. It could be dirty effects loop..I had to use a jumper on it just to get it to not cut in and out..that fixed it..So maybe that is my first thing to check, I will re-seat all the tubes and then check it out...I seriously doubt its the guitar...Its a LP custom..and it hasn't done this before its a recent development. Not that the guitar can't have a buzz just because its a LPC but it has been played very little and never has had any issues before...what do I use to clean the tube sockets and effects loop..

oh yeah, thanks for the suggestions

6. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

Me thinks you are on to something already. If you have contact cleaner or Deoxit, then clean all the jacks on the amp and snug them with a nut driver.

Ordinary contact cleaner is fine for the tube sockets, jacks, and switches, but most prefer Deoxit D5 or Fader Lube for pots and slide faders.

NOTE: Don't let any contact cleaner (or Deoxit) puddle on the tube pins or in the sockets - that can cause catastrophic arcing on the socket. If you have a can of compressed air, blow out the tube sockets after cleaning to be sure there is no residual contact cleaner puddled in the socket.

7. Lobotomie

Lobotomie Member

You can use "contact cleaner", usually in a spray can.

I've had low notes "fart out" due to a failing power section. I just replaced all electrolytic caps and that fixed it.

WillLane likes this.
  8. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Many a vintage old speaker will do that. Is this an old speaker? You can often find one certain note, played loud to sustain that will rattle the speaker on and on. Often a low A or B on the big E string....

9. zenas

zenas Member

Just try it with another speaker then you'll know it's a speaker or amp problem.

Unless it's an amp problem brought on by the speaker vibrating in the cab. :)

amphog and pdf64 like this.
  10. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

Did you guys even read the original post completely and then post #5? It was happening on just the low E note and jumpering the FX loop "fixed it."

Gonna be surprised if this is anything other than accumulated crud. Can't imagine a bad speaker selecting a single note on which to crap out.

11. Lobotomie

Lobotomie Member

I read it, did you?
    The patch cable in the FX loop fixed some previous "cutting out" issue, not the low E "break up".

The other posts are all valid suggestions to his problem.

12. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

Wondering if the OP ever got this sorted out?