Speaker Selection for 40W 1x12 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Steve Dallas, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I'm looking for a great sounding British voiced speaker and a great sounding American voiced speaker. They are to go in some 1x12 combo amps I'm developing and will be pushed with 40-50W.

I'm looking at the Jensen Neo and the Eminence line to try and keep the cost down.

I've tried all the lower power Emis and have a couple of favorites, but I don't have any experience with the high power speakers.

So what are some of your favorite Brit and Yank speakers that are rated for at least 75W?

2. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

Governor or Wizard for Brit-tone.

Red White & Blue or Swamp Thang for American

3. PFCG

PFCG Member

Well a good Yank Speaker would be the Eminence commonwealth, or the TR12-65 for a good british sound. They sound great for everything.

Id also Try a scumback. i love mine.

4. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

Also look at the Warehouse Guitar Speakers site...he's got some very cool knockoffs.

5. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Any recommendation would be a guess without knowing more about the amp design it is to mate with.

6L6's? EL34's? Headroom? Design based on Fender (tweed, brown, black), Marshall, Vox, Mesa, Dumble?

6. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

The Austin speaker works 70 hertz speaker.

7. Steve Dallas

Point taken. Let's assume we are talking about a Black Face Fender (6L6) type thing on one hand and a Marshall Plexi (EL34) type thing on the other hand. I've heard a lot of chatter about lower power speakers used in multiple driver situations, but not a lot about sticking one high power driver in a combo and would like some opinions about which speakers to buy and try.

8. pdouds

pdouds Member

the eminence rwb is a great speaker for american stuff. I used one with my fuchs, and i don;t think my guitar ever sounded better.

9. slegros

slegros Member

People don't seem to believe me on this one but the Jensen Mod 70 is probably (IMO) the best of the Jensen line. I put one in an amp that had a depth restriction (the mod 70 is 120mm deep so it fits well) and was just blown away. Its a great speaker, and for the price an unbelievable deal. If your looking for a reasonably priced British voiced speaker this would certainly fit the bill. I' say it sounds greenback like, but its also very transparent speaker and seems to add only a little of its own character letting the amp come through. A really underrated speaker.

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

For the Marshall Plexi sound, single driver scenario, I am a big fan of a well broken in, 60-watt, Celestion Vintage 30. I know a lot of people consider them to have excessive high-midrange, and in a brightly voiced, "chimey" amp like a Vox AC30, I tend to agree. But in a darker, plexi style amp, they are outstanding speakers. You're friends with David Smith of DaBeck aren't you? He uses the V30's exclusively in his amps, which are very plexi-influenced - ask him for a road test; He's a super nice guy and would probably welcome the sharing of ideas, builder-to-builder.

Regarding using a V30 with a Fender blackface config, I put a couple in a '65 Blackface (original, not RI) about 10 years ago. Background: I like using the bright switch on most 12" speaker blackface Fenders, with the treble rolled back to about "2" - seems to give the amp more depth without ripping heads (and ears). Using this config with the V30's seems to really work nicely, IMHO.

Again, the V30's need to be well broken in for this to work, especially in Fenders.

Have also tried Classic Lead 80's in both Fenders and Marshalls, but was not impressed - they seem a little too "blank slate" for me.

Another maybe worth evaluating for a good Fender/Marshall hybrid: Celestion Gold, though you mentioned keeping tabs on price.

I've tried a few of the new Eminence speakers, BTW, and they're light years better than the stock Fender spec'd ones, but I still can't find one that gets me going quite like the Celestions.

Avatar has the best deal on the V30's, BTW. Their retail on the Hellecat series beats most wholesale.

11. Steve Dallas

Thanks for the ideas, Dave.

Unfortunately, Celestions aren't in the cards for these amps. I'm trying to keep the Dealer MSRP at or below $1700 for the combos to run head to head with Dr Z type pricing in the Dealer channel, which means I need to be looking at speakers in the $40-50 range to be competitive. I'm an Eminence dealer, so pretty much anything of theirs is available to me in the price range I need. But I'm not a Celestion dealer (and can't afford the enormous price of entry), so I'm looking at $90+ for their speakers "wholesale" from other dealers.

Also, Weber and anything made by Weber is not an option. Please don't ask me why.

So the RW&B is an option for the 6L6 amp... I'll buy one of those. How does the Wizard hold up under high power? What I really want for this amp is something like a higher power G12H30. I like the Private Jack. I just wish it was a 75W speaker.

12. Steve Dallas