Speaker,speaker,speaker,shoot Out.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratneck, Oct 3, 2006.

1. stratneck

stratneck Member

Why did you choose your speaker?
    Lots of Brands,and what they do?....:AOK

Like HarryJ did with the pedal shoot out.

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have this theory that our tastes are formed at a young age when we are more impressionable, I call it the Grandma Apple Pie Syndrome. So rather then try to chase the tone in my head with new gear I went after the stuff that made the tone in the first place. Along the way I did find some new gear that also had those tones. Scumbacks and Tone Tubbys to name the speakers. Tried lot's other stuff but those are the top right next to the real thing. ;)

3. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

I use Eminence Legend V12s...really just stumbled on them...tried other Emi's and they were ok but I didn't know what I wanted until I got the V12's cheap...put them in a cab I made and that was it...THE sound, perfect-

I got 4 more V12s and put them in another cab I have and they don't sound as nice, so I 'm building another cab for them...weird-

4. stratneck

stratneck Member

+1 on the Tone Tubby,and Legend...
    I replaced the vit30 on my riverafor a TT,
    then, I Also stumble on a chip Emi Legend v12
    And love that speaker. I placed the TT on a Avatar
    2/12 with a Red fang, and is ok, dosen't knock my socks of
    I'm thinking Ceramic TT.

5. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

So far I've been most pleased with several Eminence speakers: the Red Fang, the Wizard, and (most recently) the Cannabis Rex.

6. gooma

gooma Member

For me at least my perfect speaker is my Scumback H75LHDC, i`ve tried G12H30`s, V30`s, G12T75`s, weber 1255`s and none of them come close to the scumback.

I`d love to pickup a scumback M55 & M75 and load them into a 2 x 12, will do that down the track sometime.

I guess unfortunately, it really is just a matter of trying a heap of different speakers through your amp and deciding what works best for you. A good starting point is to use the same setup as the favourite tones you have heard on cd.

7. DavidH

DavidH Member

I put a heritage g12M in my 1x12 combo at home recently and i dig it.the amp is a mojave coyote,dark yet chimey,british voiced.it came with a V30 which sounded terrible and harsh to me,the tech who chose it said to brighten the amp since it's dark voiced but the harsh overtones were offensive to my ears.

The g12m is mellow yet not dark or muddy at all and it has a much cooler voice now,i can run the amp brighter because of it so it brightened the amp in effect.It's now chimier without being harsh.It has a lovely warm fuzziness at high volumes.It works for me in this particular amp in this room at the volumes i play.

I was dead set on selling the amp prior to trying different tubes and speakers but you couldn't pry it off me now,i'm still excited about how good it sounds a month on.Experimenting with 5 pairs of NOS EL84s to find the ones i like didn't hurt either,changing the preamp tubes and the speaker made the biggest difference though,i went with Mullards in v1 and v2 and a telsa e83cc in the PI.

If i was in the states i'd look no futher than Scumbacks since i tend to like greenbacks and everyone speaks very highly of scumbacks.Plus the clips on the site are really usefull to compare.

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

For me its the Celestion 25 watt Greenback - sounds like rock 'n' roll to me....

9. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Celestion still the king. G12M's Heritages. But will have another possibility, the Celestion Gold.

10. Brick

Brick Member

I could be wrong but to me this is the way to answer the question.

It's important to know what amp and what style of music you are playing.

I'm currently in the middle of my own speaker shootout with my Allen HFwN so I can't answer the question yet but I am interested in everyone's choices...in context.

11. stratneck

stratneck Member

Speakers, are the last link in the chain, and , we can't
    tweaky it.Right?...
    So , this is going in a good direction, we are, learning one thing or two
    Keep it coming guys!!!!!;)

12. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Weber Silver Bells 30 watt light dope. Thats my speaker.

Bob

13. gulliver

gulliver Member

14. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I'm into the new Emi's. I like the Wizard and the Man-O-War. Have the Cannibas Rex on order.

jeffhef

15. retro

retro Member

Marshall amps...Celestions.

Fender amps...Weber's, JBL's.

Vox amps...Celestion Alnico

Hiwatt, Orange and Matamp amps...Fanes.

16. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I just bought the 8ohm M75 (G12m pre rola clone) scumback! The Heritage G12M is also nice, but I heard from MANY that the Heritage G12H, regular Chinese greenbacks, and the vintage 30 ARE ALL bright and fizzy....yuck!

17. mmorse

mmorse Member

+1 on the Grandma Apple Pie theory. Being a child of the 60s, well late 60s early 70s, I gravitate to the rock tone of that period. Having played myself back then, the only gear I've kept over the years from that period is my '73 LP goldtop and a King Vox wah. After going through a bunch of newer production Celestions, I found the tone I was looking for in Scumbacks. H75s and H55s work for me at a price I can afford.