1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker stud went thru my new Weber Speaker!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by tolstoy, Jan 19, 2008.

1. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

This is not a rip on Weber at all....I already have a question out to Weber's technical support about my problems with the speaker's construction. I'm asking for some advice about wether or not i need to bother with sending the speaker back, or if I can get by with it as it is.

I just recieved a Ceramic Weber California 12 Speaker for my DRRI. The speaker is beautiful. Problem is, and I didn't notice this till it was too late, the gasket was installed off center of the mounting screws. As a result, when I tried to mount the speaker to the baffle one of the screws wouldn't line up with the mounting hole and it slid into the speaker putting a small hole in the surround. I didn't force it at all, this happened very quickly the first time I tried to mount it.

Now, my question is this:

Is the speaker toast and I HAVE to send it back to Weber and wait the 4 weeks to get a new one?

Or:

Is the small hole not such a big deal and I'll be fine if I use the speaker as is?

Someone mentioned a little dab of super glue over the hole will keep it from tearing worse, and will only slightly effect the sound. Is this viable, or BS?

Of course this had to happen at 6pm on a Friday night. Just looking for some options.

Tolstoy
    The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Some thin tracing paper and some glue will fix it.It will likely not affect the tone at all.I have a few speakers that are repaired that way and there is no problem to date.A small hole like your are describing is not usually an issue.Paper it,glue it and you'll be fine.

3. hasserl

hasserl Member

I agree, layer of glue, tissue, another layer of glue. Plain ol white Elmer's is good, though you can buy specific speaker repair glue, but I don't think you need it. I've repaired speakers this way and they've held up fine. I've seen Ted Weber himself recommend the Elmer's.

Fun story: A couple of years ago my son was playing bass in a band that was just about to go on tour, and someone punched a huge hole in one of the 10" speakers of his Ampeg 8 x 10. He had no time to get a new speaker, and really didn't have the spare cash either, he'd been saving for a long time for this tour as they just make enough on sales of merch to make it from gig to gig, city to city and he needed all the cash he could take with him so he wouldn't starve. So I told him to try this tissue paper repair, he had nothing to loose. So he gave it a try, had half the damn cone covered in Elmers and tissue paper, he gave it several layers, on both sides of the cone. That speaker held throughout the tour and many more gigs, and as far as I know it may still be in the cab. (He's not using it now, he's playing guitar with a different band now, but the cab is out in my shop, I'll have to take a peek and see). True story. ;)

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

not to worry, the fix will work fine, happened to me once and we still rave about the sound of the amp that speaker is in.

5. devbro

devbro Member

Buy a bottle of rubber cement at Staples (1.99). Rubber cement will flex and never crack. Cover the area with the rubber cement, place a patch made of toilet paper over the hole and then saturate the patch with more cement (not too much, just enough to saturate it). Let dry and color to taste with a black sharpie or magic marker. Done correctly, it will last for years and is totally unnoticable.

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

+1 That's exactly what I do.