Speaker suggestion/ '62 Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Brownface, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Brownface

Brownface Member

The original speaker shot craps long ago, and all I had was an old Fender Special Design laying around. I'm just now getting around to replacing it. I tried the Eminence red white and blues and didn't care for it. Seemed a little heavy to me. Mids weren't that great. I like the amp fairly overdriven, sort of Gov't Mule Dose tone. Playing a Paul, SG, 335 through it.

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

If it were my amp I would go with a Weber ceramic Blue Dog,30 watt,light dope and have Ted break it in for you.

3. Brownface

Brownface Member

Cool. Checked it out at their site. Heard a lot about them, never 'heard' them though. Thanks.

4. Thin Slices

Thin Slices Member

From a post regarding 5E3 amps:
    Lots of different speakers sound really good in a deluxe. I have a 5E3 clone that I first used with a weber 12A125. That was very authentic sounding, however it didn't play lound enough for my needs. I did a blind test with some speakers including celestion blue, weber 12A150-T, 12A150-B, EV12, a couple of other celestions and a cheap eminence govnor. Of all the speakers I preferred the cheap govnor (ceramic) for the music I play. It was the most organic and natural sounding speaker with the best voicing. Go figure.

For a blues/rock sound I would check out a celestion blue (or some clone of that speaker). If you don't like the characteristic sound of a blue, check out the emince govnor. It sounds great as well. To my ears the celestion blue are very complex and rich sounding with a strong mid that sound almost tube screamer-ish in it's voicing.

5. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

'62 would be a brown 6g3.

I really like the TT alnico but recently have also come to like the ceramic version and even liked a new EV with one and all were nice but I do think I still prefer the TT alnico. Mileage varies.