Speaker Suggestion for D. Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarb, Feb 15, 2012.

1. guitarb

guitarb Member

I need an excellent all around speaker for my Deluxe Reverb. Going to look into the new Eminence EJ speaker.....but wanted some other suggestions. I mainly play Blues Rock out live...playing Strats and Tele's. Thanks!

2. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

3. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

The C-Rex is nice speaker that isn't too expensive and helps to tame the high end of these amps and gives them a better driven sound imo. I would also suggest the Celestion Alnico Gold or a Greenback though they aren't typical of blackface Fender sounds. The EJ speaker seems like it would sound awesome for his smooth cleans though, and maybe even for his overdriven sounds, but I'm not sure whether it was designed to go in his Fenders or Marshalls.

4. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

third vote for c rex. I think your choice is clear.

Edit: Check out my DRRI journey thread from a year or so ago to get some good info on modding that amp. I wish I had never sold it. I had it exactly where I wanted it.

5. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

RI or Vintage? I'd get a Scumback M75 65W. I've got a DR with a Jensen Neo 100 in it as well, and that's a fantastic sounding amp. Best sounding DR on earth, actually. But the Scumback in my Tone King Imperial has had me positively floored the last month or two since I got it.

6. starjag

starjag Member

Do you have a link? You posted lots over a year. Thanks!

7. guitarb

guitarb Member

The C Rex's just never did it for me for some reason...have a friend with a C Rex in his DR....but it wasn't happening for me. I've always wondered about those Neo's....I've never heard them live though. The Scumback is an interesting alternative.

8. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

I've put the Weber 12F150 in mine right now and that is just giving me a killer clean tone that I can hit with a pedal for distortion in such a magical way. I just feel like this is just that classic Fender sound to me. I also like the Weber 12V A LOT in there. Takes some of the harsh highs that can sometimes be present if you don't dial it out with other speakers, and makes distortion pedals sound fantastic! Brings back some mids too that are good. Great all around speakers right there both of them... good luck.

9. tubedude

tubedude Member

Weber Alnico Signature sounds good in my deluxe. Got it at MF for 44.00

10. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Supporting Member

The alnico Tone Tubby ended my DR speaker search years ago. It just keeps getting better.

11. cratz2

cratz2 Member

So many great choices. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to find that there are 20 speakers I could happily live with in a nice Blackface or Silverface Deluxe Reverb.

Having said that, I tend to go for the bigger, bolder, big bottom end Fender sounds so a JBL D120F or Weber California would be my first choice for mostly clean playing or an EVM 12L or Weber Michigan would be my first choice for great cleans AND for significant gain from a pedal.

Overall, I'd say a Jensen-ish speaker is what I think of when I think 'Classic Blackface Deluxe Reverb'. I had a older standard 12F150 that was pretty awesome and had an older Weber P12NT which I think is now called the 12A150O (or maybe B) that I thought sounded great clean if you want some speaker breakup and compression, but neither of these were my favorites for trying to get into Marshally gain territory with a pedal.

Bottom line, Weber California for pure big clean tones, 12F150/12A150 for speaker compression and light breakup or Michigan for great cleans and pedal gain.