Speaker suggestions for checking mixes on my computer needed

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by rob2001, Aug 9, 2008.

1. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I use a Yamaha DAW for recording my full band and i'm very happy with the way my mixes sound on all my other players but it sounds like a$$ on my computer. The speakers are cheapo's so I know thats an issue. Would I look into nearfield designated monitors or just a decent set of regular speakers? I don't do any mixing on the computer at present but i'll be moving to a computer based system at some point for editing.

Also, the computer is a stock Compaq Pesario and i'm wondering about soundcards. Is that somthing I should upgrade as well?

Right now i'm worried that our stuff could sound this bad on everyones computer system. It sounds great in everything else but the entire point of this is, i'm wondering if I need to mix and master differently to sound great on computer systems.

Thanks in advance, Rob

2. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

In this order (price/quality):

PMC Aml1 or Genelec 8040

JBL 6328p or Proac studio 100

DynAudio bm5a or Event precison 8

Tannoy active reveal

3. elambo

elambo Member

Do you expect most of your audience to listen on computer speakers?

Believe me, most people's computer speakers are not good and your songs will never sound great on them. Take comfort in knowing that NO songs will be good on them.

Sounds like you just need better speakers to use while you're on your computer. For that (assuming that your budget isn't unlimited) I'd recommend the new monitors from Adam - A5. If you need a fuller sound, get the sub to go with it. Since you're not mixing on this computer, you won't need perfect accuracy, but with these Adams you'll have a very good representation of what your mixes actually sound like.

I check all my mixes on a pair of Klipsch speakers (ProMedia, or something like that) connected to my PC. They're not greatly accurate, but I know them well. They are, however, very good at presenting the "average" consumer's computer speakers. I've been considering upgrading to the A5s, but then I'd lose that "average speaker" perspective.