Speaker Suggestions for my Orange 4x12 Cab??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Merelington, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Merelington

Merelington Member

Right now I'm running a Fender Dual Showman Reverb head (set completely clean..master volume opened right up and adjusting volume on the channels) with an Orange 4x12 cab. The cab is loaded with 4 Celestion Vintage 30's.

My goal is to have a rig that can go from a very clean/rich/warm sound to an all out distortion with tight low end response (Note: everything other than the clean canvas to work from is attained via pedals). The clean sound is good (lacking a little warmth that my twin reverb used to have) but when I engage my OD/Distortion/Fuzz pedals the sound is a little too vintage and fizzy for me.

My dirt pedals sounded great with my Marshall 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12-65's but lacked a touch of bottom end and tightness. I might try those G12-65's in the Orange Cab? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. rockguitardude

rockguitardude Member

Alnico Gold + G12H30 is a great combo

3. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Anyone else? This is very interesting.

4. Merelington

Merelington Member

Thanks for the tip rockguitardude, I'll have to look further into those speakers. Although the alnico gold at $300 each is a bit pricey.

I did like the description of celestion's G12T-75: "the G12T-75 combines a huge, tightly controlled low-end and aggressive mid-range with a softened top-end that adds a welcome sweetness to overdrive, distortion and aggressive upper harmonics."

The Celestion G12 Century also has my attention..plus they weigh half the amount of the V30's...would be great to reduce the huge amount of weight the Orange packs.

Anyone have experience with these 2?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  5. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I love the G12T75. They need to be paired with the right cab though, otherwise they can sound harsh. I use a pair in a sealed, closed back Sunn RI Cab. The other two spots are occupied by a pair of Celestion Golds. I love the Golds even more. Low end is just as big and nearly as tight as the G12T75s, but they have a bit more midrange and a smoother top end. Little more growl and they compress a touch more. Loads of character and fuller sounding than the G12T75s. More efficient as well, so they sound quite a bit louder. I'm using the cab with an Ampeg V4 or a Laney Lionheart. The G12T75s can be had next to nothing though on the used market.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

An Orange cab, NMV Fender amp? You need G12H30s my man! All the bottom end you can use with a Fender, stout midrange, sweet highs and perfectly power matched to that amp!

7. Merelington

Merelington Member

Two hits on the G12H30 eh. Keep the suggestions coming guys..speaker research is becoming mind boggling.

8. thegame

thegame Member

The last phrase I'd use to describe the 75s low end is tightly controlled. Huge, yes but its not nearly the tightest Celestion.

9. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

The G12T75 is nice when broken in but not the tightest, and has to be paired with the right cab, just like any speaker. The older marshall cabs (jcm800 and earlier) sound great with these in them. Pine cabs don't get along with most of the celestions, in my opinion.

The G12H30 is not a "tight" speaker either, but in the right cab sounds huge.

Too much emphasis on speakers and not starting with the right cab will have you chasing your tail and end up selling a bunch of great sounding speakers. Trust me, I've been there, and quite recently. :)

10. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

G12T75's are awful IMO. You say your tone with od's is too vintagy and fizzy. You definitely don't need to go G12H30, those will have more grit and texture. And while they have great low end due to the heavy mag, they are bright and can be harsh on the top end.

You say you have some G12-65's, Heritage or older? 4 of them? If the ohms work out, first thing I would do is load them in that Orange 4x12. That's a great speaker man and they have great lowend and punch in my experience. They're also smoother in the mids and tighter with a more modern aggressiveness. (I'm comparing to Emi. Private Jacks and Scumback M75-HP's which are my fav. speakers other than the G12-65's).

Give them a try and let us know what you think. The Orange is a great, great cab. Make sure you have everything wired up right and are using the correct load (and the full tranny on the Fender).