Speaker suggestions for open back cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by megatrav, May 25, 2015.

1. megatrav

megatrav Member

Hey guys,

I just pulled the two Vintage 30s from my Orange 212 open back cab.

I didn't really dig them, I thought that they were too cutting and lacking in the low end. They were also very bland when it comes to clean tones. I have been searching online looking for replacements, but I am yet to find the ones that are right for me. I was thinking Jensen's or WGS because of their price point. I know that Jensen's are for a more American tone and I don't think that's a bad thing. I am Hoping to spend $200 or less on the pair and I am very open to suggestions.

I know that speakers choices are both very important and very subjective. The main requirements are more rounded, flatter mids, and less "ice pick" than Vintage 30s.

Thanks a ton!

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Some more info would be helpful.

What other gear, particularly amp?
    What style music?

I love V30's personally. Do you actually want an American speaker, or just a bit less "in your face" than a V30?
    And were the V30's broken in?

Any other speakers you tried and liked or disliked?

SixStringInMyHand likes this.
  3. megatrav

megatrav Member

I'm using a Bugera V22, but I plug it into my 212. I play blues and rock. I use a lot of clean and OD. To me, the V30s are very in your face and cut well, but they don't sound very full, round or warm, which is what I'm hoping to achieve.

Also, the other guitarists uses V30s so I want something that is different so that it doesn't sound like we are playing the same amp haha.

4. megatrav

megatrav Member

Oh, and yea I'd say its broken in. I've had the cab over a year and I've played it a lot lol

5. megatrav

megatrav Member

Also, I have only had experience with V30s, G12H30s, Greenbacks, the speaker in my Bugera and whatever Jensen's that are in Fender DRRI's. The G12H30s and Greenbacks were in the same cab of my Bogner Alchemist. I thought it sounded bad with mixed speakers. I have never been a huge fan of that idea for some reason.

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I would look for a pair of used G12M-65 Creambacks.

btsimoes likes this.
  7. megatrav

megatrav Member

Okay cool, I will definitely do that. How are they compared to V30s?

8. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

I agree with slider313: G12M-65 Creambacks.

btsimoes likes this.
  9. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

2x WGS ET65 would be perfect for you.

10. megatrav

megatrav Member

Okay cool I will try to listen to those too. They're suppose to be similar to G12-65s from Celestion, right?

11. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

I agree with above...WGS ET65 are spectacular speakers. Nice deep lows, strong mids with being overbearing and bell like highs. Very nice and balanced speakers. I'm a huge fan of WGS and think their offerings are really hard to beat. I'm like you in that I don't particularly care for the aggressive V30 upper mid spike and just recently dropped two WGS Invader 50's (high powered greenback tone) in my 2x12 cab and I'm really loving it and it cuts through live really well. Can't go wrong with WGS.

12. megatrav

megatrav Member

I think I have narrowed my choices down to a few; WGS ET65, WGS ET90 (more headroom), or Eminence Swamp Thang (totally different than other two, but 150 watts makes for a lot of headroom) and Celestion g12m-65 Creamback.
    They're all good choices, I think. I just need to decide which one is best for me. I will most likely not go Celestion, simply because of price and I would rather get speakers made in my homeland of KY.

If only there was a way to try them all out. I guess that's life.

13. barfoden

barfoden Member

I will generalize,, But I think with british type speakers, you want a medium ceramic magnet 35oz and a higher wattage rating (from and above 50W) that often have a little more doping, in an open back cab if you want more audible and tighter bass and a more neutral midrange..

25W Greenbacks with little doping and loud ceramic magnet vintage 30s sounds best in closed back cabs.. Their reference frequency gets lifted in a closed back cab and they become more controlled, the RF gets up at A string instead of the low E string,, so you get more "audible bass" and tighter bass,, midrange gets more neutral for vintage 30s in a closed back cab than open back..

So something like a WGS ET65, Celestion Cremeback 65 or Heritage G12M 65W, G12T-75 or WGS HM75 are great for open back cabs..

A single 16 ohm 30W G12H anniversary or Reaper in an open back works ok, as it is more scooped than a greenback or vintage 30 hence sounds more balanced in an openback cab.

14. uriahh1

uriahh1 Member

I think the 75hz creambacks are not as dark..

15. FFTT

FFTT Member

Fane F-70's or F-90s

They are $200.00 each, but well worth it for tight crisp detail and they never flub out.

You might be able to score a pair of Reeves Vintage Purples used.

New they run $129.00 each 16 Ohm only.