Speaker suggestions for Trainwreck Liverpool clone

frails

Gold Supporting Member
25w Greenbacks? Are these "it"? I'm a closed back 2x12 kind of guy with nice low end. So I'm a little hesitant to go open back. But I can't deny there's an urge to go 1x12 open back stained pine cabinet for some strange. Thoughts?

FFTT

For Greenbacks, I'd go for the Scumback 12M75 HP 65 watter.

In an open back, Fane AXA12 or Celestion Gold .

Lublin

A good open back cab will provide the lows. I'm using V30's in an open back cab with my wreck and it sounds awesome.

MightyGuru

I used greenbacks (actually Mojotone BV-25Ms) in a Bluesbreaker style 2X12....awesome. Selling that amp really sucked.

frails

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you for the replies. Anyone else, please chime in. In the meantime I think it's time to look for a Scumback.

tele_jas

Alnico "Blue" voiced speakers? It's a hot rodded Vox amp, the Blues sound great in other AC30-esque amps.

frails

Gold Supporting Member
I picked up a pair of Eminence Red Fang's for $275. Thanks for the input.

Geetarpicker

Best setup I've played with an original Liverpool was an AC30 2x12 extension cab (open back) with original Alnico Blues. That said, it didn't have alot of bottom but it seemed to work well for what the amp naturally wanted to do. My preference most of the time is a 4x12 with original Pulsonic cone G12M, but it seems the modern reissue of this speaker are much brighter. I've tried original G12H (plus newer varieties) and they typically run brighter than the old 25s, but sound good IF you can deal with the brightness. For modern speakers the Scumback M75 (G12M clone) work very well, and the 65 watt rated one is a tad darker than the 25 watt spec version. Again, G12H are nice in general (or Scumback equiv) but IMHO they tend to spike though even more in the top end and are louder and that may be the wrong direction to go. G12M (original or Scumback variant, NOT reissue...) actually tend to run quieter and darker, both of which help to tame a wreck clone if it runs on the bright side which most of them do.

stratovarius

Silver Supporting Member
Red Fangs sounds like the wrong way to go to me. Those are something like 103db sensitivity, for one thing.

Geetarpicker

One other thought. If you really want to go with a single 12 a Bogner cube has the fullest lows I've ever heard from such a cab. It's front ported and totally blows away my thiele port 1x12 in the fullness department.

frails

Gold Supporting Member
Great advice, thank you everyone. Well I've committed to buying the Red Fangs so I have to give them a go. Or IT rather as I've already found a buyer for one of them. Since I am looking to do a 1x12, I'm not overly concerned with the sensitivity of the Fang. If I go with a Scumback M75, then I'd have to run a 65w or two 25w's. I really don't want another 2x12 cab though. Ideally I get a 1x12 uncovered, open back pine cab and stain it to match the TW clone head. This one looks tasty. http://www.ebay.com/itm/18074501748...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1395wt_1189

Trending Topics

Top Bottom