• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Speaker Swap - Can it be donw w/ good results?

NR2112

Im sure this has been asked before..
I have a Mesa recto 4x12 with celestions v30s. I want to put two higher powered speakers in opposite corners, perhaps something like 100 w speakers ( same ohm )

Is this possible? Will it sound good? seems like an easy project. Curious what the results will be. Im sure there is someone here with the knowledge LOL :banana

Gear page rocks.....:AOK

mwc2112

Gold Supporting Member
Power is distributed evenly among all speakers (assuming you have them set up in a standard method). So 4x your lowest-wattage speaker is the amount of total power you have for the cab. In your case that's 240W.

Your sensitivity is a much bigger factor in determining whether the speakers all have the same volume levels. Match a 103dB speaker with a 97dB speaker and someone is going to get overwhelmed.

NR2112

Good point. Never thought of that. So one sound is going to be more dominant, and sort of drown out the other huh?

candid_x

I no longer like to mix speakers. The sound becomes too complex, and one almost always seems to be dominant. It's not always based on db's either. A V30, for example, seems to cut through any other speaker combo, in my experience with them. And if not cutting through, when matched with a louder speaker, such as an Em Wizard, it sounds to me like they compete with each other more than blending together.

Austinrocks

might reverse the polarity on the Vintage 30s they sound great that way, lots of bass, you can check polarity with a 9volt on the terminals, usually the speaker goes forward, it sounds better when the speaker goes back, especially the Vintage 30s, its easy to reverse if you don't like it,

so far everyone is correct on the thread, the power is set by your lowest powered speaker, the vintage 30 is louder reversed, and did I say more bass.

NR2112

Ha. That sounds like a great idea... reverse the polarity...Well....... How on earth would I do that? LOL
Ill have to do some research unless anyody has insight, or a good webpage....

Thanks for the help!

Cpt. Picard

Ha. That sounds like a great idea... reverse the polarity...Well....... How on earth would I do that? LOL
Ill have to do some research unless anyody has insight, or a good webpage....

Thanks for the help!
Swap the leads on the speaker wires.

Poof!

Polarity reversed.

NR2112

HAHAHAH That Easy huh???

Sounds quick and painless. It wont hurt the amp or anything will it?

Cpt. Picard

HAHAHAH That Easy huh???

Sounds quick and painless. It wont hurt the amp or anything will it?
That's it, amp doesn't care.

Just be sure to switch ALL the speakers' polarity, otherwise, it will have an out of phase sound (bad).

Most speaker terminals are marke + or -, with red speaker wire usually + and black wire usually -.

If nothings marked on your speaker, try the 9volt test.

Stick a battery clip (or tape/solder 2 wires) to a 9V, and touch the wires to the speaker terminals. Keep track of which battery terminal (+ or -) is touching which speaker terminal.

The speaker will pop in or out a little. Pick which way you want it to be, and connect the speaker wires thusly.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

NR2112

Thanks Captain! Ill do it tonight, then post here and share my experience!!!

Have a stupendious day all!!

Trending Topics