Speaker swap for Crate V18?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Soundhound, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I've got one of these blowout specials on the way (middle of sept supposedly). Looking forward to it, and wondering if anyone's had experience with them and either liked the speaker it came with or had success swapping out for something else?

Maybe it'll be great just as is, just, for $150 I'm figuring I'll need to swap out the speaker to be happy.

ya never know though.

thanks.

2. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

There's been a few threads giving feedback on these Crate blowout specials. Seems like that the general concensus is that even at $150, a lot of people are returning them for a refund. Just doesn't seem to be a good sounding amp. Haven't read a lot of success stories plugging into better speaker cabs, etc.; seems like that made little difference.

3. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Had seen some of these, and looked through again. Is that really the consensus? Maybe I'm looking at different threads...

4. OKhan

OKhan Member

The speaker is the least expensive Chinese made speaker that would take the power, with some mild engineering for guitar tone. (minimal)

Try plugging into a decent cab before you guys write them off.

I do agree they look like cheap amps, but for $150 Loud blowout pricing maybe not too bad for some who are willing to modify.

Little to no resale value though....

5. soulohio

soulohio Member

as i have posted many times, i put a celestion blue in my v16 and it sounds super.

6. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I put a Hellatone 30 in mine when I had it and it sounded great..

Joe

7. psb962

psb962 Member

Bear in mind that there have been a number of different versions of Crate amps recently, all with similar names, and sometimes the same name + appearance, but with different specs - markedly in some cases (Chinese Crate speaker vs a Celestion etc)

For example, the V16 is an older model than the V18. The 'V5' with the Gain control is not the same as the 'V5' with no Gain control. The V32 isnt the same as the current V33.

The best of the Crates (allegedly) are the cream-colored 'Palomino' versions that preceded the above two series. Yes, its tough to know which series the reviewer was talking about when you read any review.

I bought a V5, discovered it was different to the V5 that some folks liked when they reviewed it. I didnt like it, and returned it.

8. scott58

scott58 Member

The palomino V16 isn't even in the same ballpark as the crate v18. palomino's are much better. i liked the V16 better then the v8 and v32. Try before you buy!