Speaker Swap Recommendations for Blackstar 112 Cab and HT20 MKII Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jon Rad, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Jon Rad

Jon Rad Member

Hey all. I've had a HT20 MKII head and Blackstar 1x12 cab setup for a little while and I do enjoy it, but I only recently got my first overdrive pedal (a Boss Super Overdrive) and it's left me feeling that the overdrive channel on the amp is a bit muffled and lacking in comparison to using the SD-1 on the clean channel -- which sounds great and I love the sound of that.

I've been thinking I wouldn't mind trying something to replace the stock Blackstar speaker in the hope of getting the amp's overdrive channel sounding a bit clearer and more defined. The cab is the newer Blackstar one with the removable back section and has a Blackstar branded speaker... Blackbird, I think. I mainly like crunchy blues to hard rock tones atm, but I do want to learn a bit more metal and shreddy stuff in the future.

The cab has its rating of 50W written on the back, which is what the stock speaker is rated at. Will it matter if I put a higher or lower rated speaker in the cab? (I realise that I shouldn't put a 20W speaker in and then hook up a 50W head and crank it to 11 though.)

It seems like a Celestion V30 could be a fairly safe bet to try out, but I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice. Cheers!

Calebz likes this.
  2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I just got the HT20MKII Head and using it with a large 1x12 cab with a Celestion 70/80 in it, this speaker works very well with Blackstar and is the speaker they use with there larger HT amp combo's it's also the speaker they use in there vertical 2x12 cab. I've tried a Greenback and a G12H30 but still prefer the 70/80 for its brighter tone and tight low end. I actually just bought another 70/80 used to put into another cab I have at home.

Jon Rad likes this.
  3. Jon Rad

Jon Rad Member

I've seen a few people saying they like these speakers with BS amps. I can only find an 8Ω version for sale locally though and my cab currently has a 16Ω speaker. Will my cab be good to run an 8Ω speaker? (provided I use the 8Ω speaker output, of course)

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

yes you will be fine with the 8 ohm speaker/8 ohm tap, i found some 16 ohm 70/80s on Reverb.com... just got it today for my second cab!

Jon Rad likes this.
  5. Jon Rad

Jon Rad Member

Thanks. I can also get a V30 for about the same price so I'm tossing up between the two atm.

6. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I tried a V30 in my Blackstar HT20MKII and HT60MKII. Went back to the 70/80. If your cab already has a 70/80 I'd say stick with that. If it has something else, 70/80s can be found so cheap that it would be worth it to buy one just to try it out.

Jon Rad likes this.
  7. Jon Rad

Jon Rad Member

My cab has a Blackstar Blackbird speaker which I'm finding very muffled and not too pleasing on the overdrive channel.

Thanks for another vote for the 7080. Looks like I may have to hunt one down -- they actually don't seem too easy to find here in Oz ATM unfortunately.

8. DonP

DonP Member

Either that's a great price on a V30 or you are paying way too much for a 7080. I see them getting dumped on CL for $25-$50.

I personally like them.

Jon Rad likes this.
  9. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Seventy/80 is the speaker for the Blackstar amps. Even the stock Rocket 50 sounded good in my HT20. I got one really cheap brand new on reverb.

Jon Rad likes this.
  10. Jon Rad

Jon Rad Member

I can get a 70/80 a bit cheaper, but it's not a big difference. I can get a V30 for $163AUD and a 70/80 for $124AUD. I haven't had any luck finding anything second hand here in Australia atm unfortunately.

11. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

In a 1x12 w. open back mids can become a bit much and the lows a bit lacking. Worth keeping in mind if considering a mid heavy driver.

12. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango Member

No real experience with the blackbird, but I used to have a HTV-12, the oversized OB cab with the 70/80. I thought the cab sounded pretty good with that speaker. I only got rid of it after getting a 2x12 Artisan cab with V30s, and at the time, didn’t need the extra 1x12 cab. Left it at a buddy’s house, and eventually sold it to him. He paired it with an HT5, and it sounded great to us.

FWIW, with a little EQ change, I don’t think it sounded miles apart from the V30s I replaced it with. I confirmed that later when I got a DSL40 and A/B’d between the a v30 and the stock 70/80. That’s in the same cab too. I temporarily swapped one of the V30s and that 70/80 to try and make it a fair comparison (cab is wired for stereo so I could play one at a time). I’m still not sure why the 70/80 gets such a bad rap here. After it’s broken in especially, it’s not a bad speaker to ME.