• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Speaker swapping in a Vicky 20112

DEMENTED

Silver Supporting Member
I have had this 5E3 Victoria for a week or two now and decided to swap around some speakers today. It came with an Eminence Legend which seems okay. I pulled that and tried a Jensen C12Q reissue but it was dead, next was an Eminence made Fender B&G labeled 12"..it was similar to the Lengend, maybe a little weaker sounding. Last I pulled out a 1958 CTS alnico I saved from an old organ. This sounds really cool in it, maybe the 51 years of age on it! Anyhow, I think I'll leave that in there for awhile. Any other suggestions? I'm not convinced the amp sounds as good as it can with that Eminenece Legend in there...and when did Victoria start using them? It doesn't say anything about those on the website and I'm pretty sure the amp is a 2008.

blues

Silver Supporting Member
I have had this 5E3 Victoria for a week or two now and decided to swap around some speakers today. It came with an Eminence Legend which seems okay. I pulled that and tried a Jensen C12Q reissue but it was dead, next was an Eminence made Fender B&G labeled 12"..it was similar to the Lengend, maybe a little weaker sounding. Last I pulled out a 1958 CTS alnico I saved from an old organ. This sounds really cool in it, maybe the 51 years of age on it! Anyhow, I think I'll leave that in there for awhile. Any other suggestions? I'm not convinced the amp sounds as good as it can with that Eminenece Legend in there...and when did Victoria start using them? It doesn't say anything about those on the website and I'm pretty sure the amp is a 2008.
I have an eminence legend in my victoria deluxe also. I ask Mark and he said they are made to his specs. It looks like its ceramic. Been thinking about finding an alnico, thats what they came with originally,not sure what to try. Maybe a weber or a real jensen. My amp is a 2008 also. Im looking for early break-up. Im going to change the 5v4gt rectifier to a 5y3, and the 12ay7 to a 5751 first before I mess around with the speaker.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Try the Weber 12A150A. It is the perfect speaker for a 5e3 to me. I had the Celestion Blue in my Clark and I found it too dark a match for the circuit. For some things, it was awesome, but I like the more traditional sound of the Weber and the larger magnet of the 12a150 gives you better bass handling. The A cone is a bit brighter, which is never enough with a 5e3, IMO. This is the same speaker Fender uses in their '57 Twin RI.

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Weber 12A125 in mine 5E3 clone and it's just right. The regular 12A125 is ribbed and is just right in these amps. When I put a Weber in my GA-5 I went with an 8A100T for the added brightness.

Rick51

... Im looking for early break-up. Im going to change the 5v4gt rectifier to a 5y3, and the 12ay7 to a 5751 first before I mess around with the speaker.
The break up we all like from a 5E3 is power tube distortion. That mean that changing preamp tube gain won't help you, you'll be at the same output level when the power tubes start to sing.

You could try an NOS 5Y3 rectifier, the voltage is lower than the recent ones. That should make a nice difference.

Koa70

I put a Weber 12150A in my 20112 it's a really great match I feel.
I tried a Celestion Blue, alot of people really like this speaker in a 5E3 I'm not all that crazy about it in that situation. Great speaker but I feel like it has it's own sound that get's away from
a Tweed Deluxe tone. It will certainly give you more volume though.

I went with the Celestion Bue and am waiting till its broken in to make my mind up for sure. I like the quality of the speaker but can't help wondering about the Weber 12A150A. CB Pickin, and Koa70 since you've tried both can you describe the difference tone wise? CB, I also went with the Mr.Springgy for just that slight touch of reverb on rythm parts only.
I like it a lot, but I have the feeling that I'll end up with a Reverbarato before all is said and done. You've just gotta love that vibrato.

blues

Silver Supporting Member
The break up we all like from a 5E3 is power tube distortion. That mean that changing preamp tube gain won't help you, you'll be at the same output level when the power tubes start to sing.

You could try an NOS 5Y3 rectifier, the voltage is lower than the recent ones. That should make a nice difference.
Thanks for the reminder, I know its the power tube distortion. Ive got a bunch of nos tubes to put in my amp. I have an old rca 5y3 to put in it. ;)

DEMENTED

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I'm not sure the amp is me.....I think it might end up in the emporium soon unless a local guy takes it first.

Trending Topics