Speaker switchers? Signal splitters?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by nickdahl, Sep 25, 2005.

1. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

What would be the "cleanest" way to split the signal headed toward my studio monitors? Or, put another way, what would you do in this situation?

I just "inherited" a pair of Infinity CS3007 floorstanding speakers (we replaced the speakers in our living room--wife's decor issues). I'd like to use them as another monitor option in my home-recording area.

Right now, I have signal coming from my Mackie 1604VLZ's C-R OUT, going straight into my KRK V8 powered monitors. What I'd like to do is split that signal and send it to a monitor amp (I have a Carvin DCM 150 amp available right now). That amp would power the Infinity speakers.

All the other "outs" on the board are tied up, either feeding PA mains or the Mbox.

Thanks,

Nick

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I use a presonus central station for this but it's not straight wire transparent. Check out the Coleman LS3 first.

3. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

Thanks for the information. I'll check it out.

Nick

4. justicetones

justicetones Member

I built a passive switcher box but that was to use with powered monitors. If you did the same you would have to have the switch before the amp of the passive monitors of course.

I used a on-off-on switch with 4 rows of 4 poles. Hot and cold for each Left and Right. Then just carried the shield directly from input jacks to output of respective jacks installed in the box. It was an Experiment but worked great and could not hear a sound diff.

Total builld cost about $45

Chris

5. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

I settled on a Mackie Big Knob. It doesn't get the best reviews for sound quality, but it had some features I could use, and the price was appropriate.

Nick