Speaker to brighten up an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axe-Man, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Pressed paper cones may not respond well to heavier gain - which poses the question...
    Did you ever mention which amp is up for discussion here and what kind of tones you're using it for?

2. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I didn’t want to mention the amp up front as it is a very rare one and sometimes TGP goes a tad quiet if you ask for suggestions for something outside of the TGP wheelhouse like this one. lol

It’s a MI Audio (the pedal company we all know) Megalith Gamma.

A high gain German inspired metal amp. It’s only 3 gain stages (no clippers etc as well) though, so super low gain for a ‘metal’ amp (which is what it is through and through).

Very tight, fairly dry, percussive amp. Not a fizz monster like an EVH etc. In fact no fizz. It could use a little sizzle or extra top end.

Maybe I should just buy a Wizard. I just know it’ll be impossible to resell if it didn’t work though. Was hoping a H75 Creamback could work in its place but...

The Wizard is very efficient which is the bit I’m most not so keen on.

3. andy474x

andy474x Member

Can you get a WGS Retro 30? It’s a V30 inspired speaker but with more treble.

Axe-Man likes this.
  4. dspellman

dspellman Member

Buy a KSN1165A piezo tweeter and wire it into the current speaker. You can also buy an L-pad (to dial it up or down) to go with it. These things don't need to be considered for impedance (they show up as capacitance), they don't need a crossover (they automatically kick in around 1800Hz and run up to around 30KHz).

5. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I just wanted to note that the amp is pretty darn spectacular at volume (9 o'clock on the MV) if you like tight, dry, percussive, clear, gain tones.

I have had the exact same issues with Rectifiers, a Rockerverb, EVH, 5150, 6505+, numerous Orange amps etc. My V30s are dark and I use a OS cabs. EQ sometimes works great as does a boost. This amp doesn't need a boost so I'm missing a bit of up front brightness that helps things like a Recto/Peavey/Orange etc out straight away. Some (more than a few) have needed loop EQ too. I tweaked a parametric today (just a dB or two in a couple of places) and got it sounding killer with my 4x12 (at volume). The OS 1x12...ekkk Maybe it's the cab and I should sell the thing.

A Wizard or H75 is about $205AUD. That's a bit of cash to waste if it doesn't work. Not a fan of monkeying around with speakers I must say.

6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Bit the proverbial bullet and bought a Wizard. Just need to give it a run.

Edit:

Initial tests aren’t too bad. It’s bright with my Yeti though!

It’s going to take time to break in which is always a bear.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Humble Texan Fan likes this.
  7. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Member

Celestion G12H30 Anniversary would be the first place I'd look for bright and also clear. Maybe in combination with something else in a 2x12 so the whole rig doesn't sound overly Voxy (unless you want that).

https://celestion.com/product/17/g12h_anniversary/