Speaker to pair with Celestion Gold

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gravelrocks, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Gravelrocks

Gravelrocks Supporting Member

I'm looking to pair another speaker with a Celestion Gold 10" in a blackface Fender circuit, and am considering either the Tone Tubby 40/40 or the Celestion Greenback 10. Has anyone tried either of these in a blackface circuit? Interested to hear from anyone with experience with these speaker combos.

2. 71strat

71strat Member

3. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I have a 12" Gold and I really enjoy pairing it with bass-heavy British speakers such as the Scumback H12-55 and even a Weber Silver Bell Ceramic 50w. I don't have experience with the 10" Gold, but I've heard that the 10" greenback pairs well tonally but gets overpowered in volume. I do have experience with the WGS ET10, and I think it would work well, as it is pretty thick in the low range and neutral in the high end.

4. 71strat

71strat Member

Out of those 2, for me, I would go for the TT.

While I'm not sure, The TT is possibly more efficient and closer to the Gold that you have. The Celestion Gold is 98db vs Celestion 10 95db, 3db could be noticeable. Ive looked for the DBs of the TT many times but have never found the specs. Id say 97-98db anyway.

For $150 IMHO youll be hard pressed to beat the EV Force 10. Its probably 98-99db, and is also Ceramic, if Ceramic is what you looking for.

You can have the huge lows/cleans from the EV, and have the Gold handling more of the Distortion/OD department. Forget the EV is 150 watts. Makes 0 difference.

IMHO The EVs are some of the best 10s, along with the 10Ms ever made. And for $150 is hard to beat. TT is $180.