Speaker to tame a bright Deluxe Reverb (I fixed it)

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
Many years ago I installed a Celestion Cream Alnico...........that worked really well (albeit expensive now, although I only paid ~ AUD$380 new at the time).

:beer

dani_boy79

I've had a Cannabis Rex in my '76 Deluxe Reverb for nearly 12 years! Sounds great with taming the highest of the bright cap with my Strats. I also tried a Scumback M75LD for fun ...sounded even better than the CR imo ... unfortunately, that speaker was for another amp, and I have yet to get another one for the DR.

El Fenix

I have a 68 Custom Deluxe reverb with a the v-type in it.

I also have an Eminence GB128 in a 1x12 cab.

I need to try out the DR with the GB128.

I'll have to report back.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
My SFDR. Bright cap out. Old Weber Silver Bell 30w with medium dope. Rolls off the super highs and lows.

djw

Silver Supporting Member
I put a WGS ET65 in my 65 and I couldn't be happier. I'd tried the Weber 12f150, which many consider to be the go-to, but it was waaaay too bright to my ears. ET65 baby.

Last edited:

Geetarpicker

I run a Celestion Creamback G12M 65w in my stock 1964 Fender non-reverb Deluxe. Typically I use the vibrato channel on 6 with the bass and treble both on 4, and the bright cap is still in the amp. I’ve played the new Neo Creamback and liked it, but I haven’t played one at gig levels yet. That said over the years I have gone through many speakers in BF Deluxes including: stock 60s Oxford, 60s Jensen C12N (blew up 2 of them in Deluxes), modern day C12N, C12K, JBL D120, Celestion vintage 30, Weber 12F150, Cannibis Rex, EV…

buddyboy

Platinum Supporting Member
For the past six months or so I've settled on an older, fairly well broken-in Weber 12F150. I like the classic "Fender Sound" though.

MoBigBro

Gold Supporting Member
@gitarboy :
I've been away for a day or so and I see the amended Post title: (I fixed it).
I'm curious as to what you did that fixed it. I always like to hear the experience of others when they successfully fix something!
Did I miss it?

Hey Guys,
My 1967 DR is sounding a little too bright these days.. I'm using a Jupiter 50 watt ceramic and I've clipped the cap but I feel like I need to smooth out the top end a little.. yeah.. I've turned the knobs, guitar tone control.. etc but I'm thinking the correct speaker or a little change inside will sound better.. suggestions..?

THE FIX......................

So... I rummaged through my speaker stash one more time.. in the process I noticed I had 3 Reverend Alltone 10in speakers (1040's) which I thought was an odd number.. on closer inspection it was easy to see that one of them was a 12in.. mis-labled..
I'm sure it's an older one.. it came in a Hellhound that I have..
Either way I stuck it in the DR today and ta da.. no more ice pick... sounds great.. thanks guys for all the input...

Steve

@gitarboy :
I've been away for a day or so and I see the amended Post title: (I fixed it).
I'm curious as to what you did that fixed it. I always like to hear the experience of others when they successfully fix something!
Did I miss it?

@MoBigBro, I had to go read the first post in the thread to find the fix. The OP edited his first post to post the ‘fix’…..see the edit following ‘THE FIX’ in the quoted post above.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom