Speaker tonally between Blue and Cannabis Rex

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Robzebr, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Robzebr

Robzebr Member

What would you recommend as a speaker to fit tonally between a Celestion Blue and a Eminence Cannabis Rex?

The amp is a Line 6 DT25 (25watts)... Music is general rock and blues...

I was thinking of the Greenback... or maybe the new Eminence Eric Johnson speaker... any thoughts... ?

2. levous

levous Member

Its a modeling amp. I think you should be looking for a hifi speaker or a tube amp. I could be wrong but I don't think that amp is going to treat a classic speaker very well

3. Robzebr

Robzebr Member

The DT25 is not a modelling amp in the usual sense....

It is able to reconfigure itself for the model that one selects using a Line 6 HD500 as an example.... So if you pick a model that is let's say Beatles sounding.... the HD500 tells the Dt25 that it is doing a VOX model... then the amp reconfigures itself with regards to the power section ... pentode/triode, Class A / Class AB etc...

Without using something like a HD500 the amp is just a regular amp...

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

No offense meant but that's kind of like asking for a recommendation on a car that's between a Mini-Cooper and a Suburban, LOL.

I think of the CR and Blue alnico celestions are about as different as you can get. They sound and react to your playing way, WAY different. It's probably because they have different construction, different cone materials and shape, different magnet types, different voice coil sizes, way different wattage ratings, different everything! To me...they're so far apart as to render the question almost meaningless.

What is missing from the speaker in the DT25 that you're hoping to find in a different speaker?

5. Robzebr

Robzebr Member

No offense taken. I have a BlackStar HT-5 (5watt) amp and 2 LopoLine 1x12 cabinets....

... a Celestion Blue in one and an Eminence Cannabis Rex in the other..... also a Line 6 HD500....

Because I have the HD500 it makes sense to look at the Line 6 DT 25 as a future amp upgrade....

Right now the Blackstar fits perfectly on the Lopolines ... a little mini stack...

If I get the DT25 it will hang over the sides of the speaker cabs... so the plan over time is to get 2 more Lopoline 1x12s and create a stack of 4 1x12s... with the DT 25 fitting nicely across the top....

So if I'm getting 2 more cabinets ... the issue becomes ... what speakers..(?)

So back to the question.... I have a Celestion Blue high and chimey, and the Cannabis Rex ... smoky and jazzy sounding...

I'm looking for 2 speakers to tonally fit (not be the same.... but fill in the tonal holes) with what I have... so a speaker that is tonally between the Rex and the Blue....

and the second speaker to probably come in underneath the Cannabis Rex.... I thinking of the Swamp Thang for that....

The idea is that with these being 1x12s they will be easier to transport if need be and I can just grab one based on what tone I feel like hearing that day....

So I have the Mini Cooper Celestion Blue (chimey) ... and the Chevy Suburban... Cannabis Rex (low mid jazzy)....

Now I need the Chrysler that has emphasizes the high mids... to come in between the Mini Cooper and the Suburban ...

... and I need a Hummer to fill in the lows below the Suburban.. (Rex)...

So I'm thinking of a Swamp Thang Hummer...for the lows and (I don't know) maybe a Chrysler Greenback... for the high mids...?

The Eminence Black Mountain has a noticeable high mid bump but I haven't heard one... sometimes the frequency chart is a little deceiving...

6. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

the best pairing of a speaker along side of a blue I've ever heard (besides another blue) is a G12H Heritage that is well broken in (30+ hours). In an open back avatar vintage 2x12 it really killed. Can't believe I sold that.

7. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

The obvious inbetween would be a Fane Axa12, but it comes with a pricetag. Also the Jensen Blackbird could be a contender here. Or maybe you're really wanting a Medusa 150C, seing that you want it a bit more forward.

8. Leonc

FWIW, I just watched a youtube vid from Rivera where the compare a LOT of alnico speakers and a few ceramics. From my recollection, these include:

- celestion gold alnico
    - celestion blue alnico
    - celsetion V30
    - celestion G12T75
    - Jensen blackbird
    - scumback scumnico
    - scumback M75
    - Red Fang
    - Cannis Major

A few others too IIRC. It's all dirty tones, but still useful. Unfortunately no Swamp Thang or Cannabis Rex which are two of my personal faves. The Swamp Thang sounds like a great (old) Jensen to me...but more of it.

9. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Add to the list:
    Jensen P12Q
    Eminence Lynch Super V12

10. Robzebr

Robzebr Member

How does the Swamp Thang compare to the Cannabis Rex? I'm looking for something to come in "underneath" the Rex tonally....

Thanks.

11. Leonc

The Swamp Thang doesn't "smooth out" or attenuate the top end the way the CR does. Where the CR tends to be more midrangey, the ST tends to be more scooped. A bit bigger top and end bottom end. The CR seems to feed back a bit easier with a few of my amps. The ST weighs notably more too.

12. freaksho

freaksho Member

search youtube for the other Rivera video that demos a bunch more, including the Swamp Thang and the G12H30. it is one of the reasons i got a G12H style speaker (WGS Reaper) and i'm really happy i did. incidentally i thought the Swamp Thang sounded killer too, in my top 3 of the shootout.

13. FFTT

FFTT Member

You've got a good collection of speakers started and well chosen.

If you want crisp detail I'd go for the Medusa 150-C

Nothing wrong at all with a Scumback 12M 75 either.

I would start thinking about an amp upgrade, but these speakers will be great
    in many amps.