Speaker upgrade 2x12 cab - classic 30 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Imiss85, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

I've got a 2x12 Peavey cab with the original blue marvels in it, I'm not real thrilled with the sound - I'm getting better sound out of a epi 1x12 cab for a valve jr. I'm thinking of going with the Warehouse speakers, or should I say I am going to go with them, but not sure if I want the veteran 30's (vintage 30 clones) or the greenback clones. Any advice on what you guys would do, considering I mostly play Aerosmith /Zeppelin / Beatles/ CCR/type stuff with the occasional VH / hair metal tune thrown in? V-30's probably the best bet? Head is stock - upgrading to JJ tubes this week, main effects are a Rat, Bad Monkey and a digi delay, with the Bad Monkey with the OD channel getting most of the work.

2. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

3. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

My thoughts are that you get plenty of mids with an EL84, especialy with an open back setup. Even if it isn't an open back, my preference would be to rule out the V30's and go for a little more lowend.

4. nothereanymore

nothereanymore Member

If you decide on the veteran 30s. I have two extra 8ohm. I will make you a good deal.

5. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

Larry, I PM'd you.