Speaker Upgrades for Clean Headroom?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by drod2045, Aug 17, 2008.

1. drod2045

drod2045 Member

Hey guys,
    I am looking for speaker upgrades to increase the headroom on my amp. I have a stock HRDx (the 1x12). I am aware of the love/hate relationship ppl have for this amp on this board ;) Im currently not in the financial position for a new amp. Ive considered the Omega mod and want to do it; however, I need some time before I can send out for that (gigs coming up, $$, etc).

So what are some speaker upgrades to get more clean headroom? Are there any other mods that can be done to get more clean headroom?

Thanks!
    :AOK

2. Ace_F4i

Ace_F4i Member

i don't think it's really the speaker that gives you more clean headroom but i'm not familiar with that amp. you could always try the celestion classic lead 80 because it's high wattage and is supposed to keep your sound uncolored. you could always trying using a clean boost pedal too. Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso is the most powerfull one you can buy.

3. drod2045

drod2045 Member

that looks like a great alternative! Does anyone know the difference of 8-16 ohm?

4. doc

doc Member

First off, read through the suggestions on this site on how to increase clean headroom:
    http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/
    Second, look through the different offerings of speakers looking for ones that have a high sensitivity rating (above 100).
    My suggestions for your amp would be a Swamp Thang or Wizard by Eminence. The Swamp Thang will preserve some of the "American Fender" character and make the amount of bass seem stronger. The Wizard will give a more cutting and loud high end with a bit of a British sound.

5. doc

doc Member

Oh, you need an 8 ohm speaker.

6. drod2045

drod2045 Member

thanks doc! tons of info there - wow

7. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Weber Cali works well for loud clean.

8. drod2045

drod2045 Member

the cali comes in both ceramic and alnico. what are the differences sonically/generally between ceramic and alnico? id like to retain good low end with the higher headroom

thanks

9. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Yep. Breaks up very little. Cleanest speaker I've ever heard.

Tom

10. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I play an omega HRDX and occasionally a stock Hot Rod Devillle. Last gig I was having issues with my amp so I played the Deville through my hrdx cab with emi wizard and my 1x12 ext with a cannabis rex.

It sounded great. I'm not really a fan of the stock speakers, they are okay but they break up too fast and get mushy when you are really pushing them.

I love the wizard and rex combo and I can't decide which speaker I like more. The wizard has a lot of detail in the upper mids and highs while the rex is a little darker but not muddy by any means and pumps some serious bass.

11. phatster

phatster Member

The old standby is JBL.

12. freaksho

freaksho Member

i'll give a +1 on the CL80 for cleans. i had one in a Shiva 1x12 cab. high power, big on bottom, bright & chimey on top. liked it more for cleans than V30/G12H30 combo in my 2x12 cab. but . . . i did not like it much for crunch tones so i sold it.

13. drod2045

drod2045 Member

ill be using both od and fuzz - good to know about the CL80 for the crunch. Does the weber work better for dirt?

14. drod2045

drod2045 Member

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Emi Wizard would KILL in that amp :)