• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Speaker upgrades for micro amps? Marshall MS-2

GibsonGeek

My little Marshall MS-2 micro was rescued from a vacant apartment after spending what must’ve been a scary night with a tweaker.

Thought I might re-house the little guy in a wooden cigar box. He’s been through a lot, so I’m just wanting to do something nice for him. I have cleared a space on the coffee table for him, where he will be surrounded by friends and loved ones, get lots of attention, and hopefully feel appreciated.

The speaker. Are there upgrades available, and would it make a noticeable difference? Specs online indicate a 2 inch speaker. Mine measures 3 inches across.

Anything else I can do to make his new home more accommodating? Mod the board for more warmth perhaps? If there’s an ice pick hiding under the bed for example, I’d like to remove it or at least dull the tip so he can’t harm himself with it.

bigtone23

I would get the most sensitive 8 ohm speaker you can find in a size that works for your new enclosure. Any larger speaker will have a bigger, less treble/mid forward tone. The cabinet you build will also add a fuller low end vs the original micro half stack enclosure.

GibsonGeek

I would get the most sensitive 8 ohm speaker you can find in a size that works for your new enclosure. Any larger speaker will have a bigger, less treble/mid forward tone. The cabinet you build will also add a fuller low end vs the original micro half stack enclosure.
I would like to keep the speaker size the same since it’s going into a small cigar box.

Also, I like the idea of the slanted top on this box for locating the speaker. Although the thickness of the wood might be an issue for the stubby pot shafts.

Last edited:

bigtone23

I would like to keep the speaker size the same since it’s going into a small cigar box.
That will be a trick to find one that is 3". The only one I can think of is this Eminence. https://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Alpha_3_8 It's going to be much heavier than the stock speaker--about a pound--something to consider for a cigar box.
You might try the factory speaker in the new box first. That enclosure might add enough low end to make it worth keeping.

GibsonGeek

That will be a trick to find one that is 3". The only one I can think of is this Eminence. https://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Alpha_3_8 It's going to be much heavier than the stock speaker--about a pound--something to consider for a cigar box.
You might try the factory speaker in the new box first. That enclosure might add enough low end to make it worth keeping.
Good advice, thank you. Will the 60w Eminence speaker with this 1w amp be a conflict?

bigtone23

Good advice, thank you. Will the 60w Eminence speaker with this 1w amp be a conflict?
Nope, power handling is not an issue, as the amp is about 1 watt. The Eminence is about 88dB efficient, which is about the same as the stock speaker, so it won't get louder or lose much for volume.
I know there are some mods available for the MS2. As far as quick and dirty changes to the sound, that 220uF cap connected to the speaker output/headphone jack can be tweaked for adding or subtracting low end. Make it smaller to take out bass (maybe 47-100uF), make it bigger (maybe 330-470uF) to add bass. This will mostly just set the high pass.

Last edited:
I wonder if something from the car audio end of things would work. Probably a stupid suggestion but then again loads of guitar tracks sound great through them ;)

also, this might be the cutest ****ing OP I’ve ever read here.

pcutt

OP, you're on the right track. I've had a similar experience and it was Very Good! Back when Bill Chapin had his shop in San Jose I dropped by to talk about a strat build so he showed me some of the ones he had in the shop. He wanted me to hear them but he had loaned out his shop amp and all he had on hand was a Smokey amp, so he hooked it up to a nice 4x12 and the tone was very nice! Of course, the Smokey was in good company with all the nice gear and his hands playing the guitar, but I was very impressed that a little amp like that would sound so good. So don't shy away from plugging your little amp into a nice cab!

Trending Topics