Speaker Wattage rating

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by daacrusher2001, Mar 24, 2015.

1. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

I have an Allen Accomplice and was thinking of trying an alnico speaker. Not sure which one yet.

I found a WGS Blackhawk at a good price and it's rated at 100W

My amp with 6L6s is rated at 35W, lower with the 6V6s

Does it matter if the speaker is rated so much higher? I recall having a speaker rated at 50W in a 20W Swart AST and it sounded great

Not sure if it matters if it can handle more power - anyone have any facts on this?

2. zenas

zenas Member

It'll be fine you want the speaker to have more wattage capacity than the amp puts out.
    How much more? That turns into page after page of disccusion around here.

For instance I run my Twin Reverbs with speakers rated at about what a TR will put out. However I never turn a TR up that loud because they are loud as hell.

My old 6V6 Reverberockets are another matter. Only 15 or so watts and I do crank them up. One's got a 30 watt Weber and the other the original C12R untill it blows. (kind'a supprised it's still going strong)

Anyway 100 watt speaker in a 35 watt amp should be fine. (unless your feeding it square waves)

3. SS&HH

SS&HH Member

I'd look at the sensitivity specs in decibels of the new speaker and compare with old one. This will affect how loud one is over the other, for speakers of the same wattage rating.

Also research the type of cabinet the new speaker is optimal for - how is it voiced. Or what type of cabinet the speaker is voiced for.

Both pieces of info above maybe hard to find.

4. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

I was really just wondering if there is any significance to the volume rating as it relates to driving the speaker - I get the sensitivity specs, just didn't know if the wattage rating matter in terms of performance

5. pdf64

pdf64 Member

As long as the input power to the speaker does not exceed its rated power, then no, it doesn't matter in terms of performance, eg no benefit in 'matching' the speaker power to the amp power.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Just for fun: there are a bunch of technical specs available for every speaker, that will determine how they perform in a given box. That'd include safe wattage rating (the number above which they'll likely blow up), the sensitivity (how much sound you'll get from a given input), the impedance vs frequency graph (which will determine how they sound, and will change depending on what kind of box they're being put in) and lots of other stuff.

Any given speaker that exceeds your amp's power output plus 60% should be safe, even if you dime the thing with a fuzz in front of it. How it will sound with the amp/speaker cab you're using is another issue entirely and something you'll have to fight with to find the right combination, unfortunately.