speaker with good low mids?

ruger9

Looking for a new speaker for my Black Pearl 30 (EL84s, AC30/Matchless/Badcat type)... and the amp has a TON of bass and high mids... too much high mids for me, looking for something that has prominent LOW mids. At first I thought greenback, but they're only rate for 25W. (Amp is 30W). Then I thought Creamback since it's supposed to sound like a GB with high power handling, but I see alot of people don't think it sounds much like a Greenback.

It came with a Red Fang (too bright, too Vox)

I have had a Canis Major in it for a few years (fantastic, solid lows, rounded highs, but the upper mids are still bugging me... not as bad as the upper-mid spike of a V30 tho)

I put the Lightning Bolt from my Super-sonic 22 in it (because I put a C-Rex in my SS22)... it's quite a bit better, but you know, always lookin' for "more" lol

I also thought maybe a C-Rex or a Swamp Thang? Looking for good low mids with a rounded high end.

Please, no V30s... I like them, but the high mids spike would not work well in this amp for my goals. Not in a 1x12 combo anyway. Love them in a 4x12 cab.

Last edited:

Silent Sound

Low mids is a generic term that will mean something different to everyone. So you'll get all kinds of answers from people who will tell this or that speaker has excellent low mids, but they might be talking about frequencies far off from what you're thinking of.

Find out which frequencies you are specifically looking for, and then you can use frequency response charts published by the manufacturers to narrow down your search. Then, if you want, you can come back here to get opinions on your final choices.

But asking a crowd of people you've never met which speakers sound good in the "low mids" without defining "low mids" is asking for trouble.

ruger9

Not bass.

Not high mids, like the V30 spike.

In-between.

Good enough? Besides- I DID give some reference speakers, and my opinion about them in relation to this amp, so people who have used those speakers will be able to relate, and possibly give a recommendation.

cubistguitar

ever try a G12H30. Seems real balanced , but does pucker in the low mids a bit if pushed. Sweet top end.

WholeLottaGlove

Silver Supporting Member
EVM 12L Series II.

I just picked up a Mesa Rec 1x12 cab with one and it sounds fantastic. No high end mid spike but not lacking in mids, either. Great low mids and sounds equally great for cleans and distortion.

ruger9

ever try a G12H30. Seems real balanced , but does pucker in the low mids a bit if pushed. Sweet top end.
Never tried one, but every time I hear one compared to a GB, I always like the GB better... that's why I'm interested in the Creamback.

straticus

I've been on a speaker hunt for my Lil Elvis combo. I've tried quite a few speakers including the M and H series Creambacks. I settled on the H-75 Creamback for a while but felt I could do better.

Then I got a good deal in the emporium on a ASW KTS-60 and all I can say is wow!! The hype about these speakers is real. There's not a harsh tone to be found.

Beautifully rolled of highs but still plenty of articulation, magical mids and solid bass. Sorry about the "magical mids" statement but that's how I hear it. It's something that I have never heard before. Makes me want to check out more ASW speakers.

BTW, I just received a ASW Crossroads that I'll be loading in to the Lil Elvis later today.

So, bottom line, the ASW KTS-60 might be just what you're looking for :)

Last edited:

clintb

Looking for a new speaker for my Black Pearl 30 (EL84s, AC30/Matchless/Badcat type)... and the amp has a TON of bass and high mids... too much high mids for me, looking for something that has prominent LOW mids.

Please, no V30s... I like them, but the high mids spike would not work well in this amp for my goals. Not in a 1x12 combo anyway. Love them in a 4x12 cab.
I had a problem with too much upper mids in my EL84 1x12 combo too (Gibson Goldtone GA-15RV). However, I also had too little bass but that was mainly due to the small cabinet. The stock speaker was a Celestion Vintage 30.

I've never tried the other speakers you mentioned.

I ended up using a WGS Blackhawk HP. It has a nice "vocal" mid which makes my solos "sing". It definitely has some bottom end, but it seems "tight". The highs are smooth.

I'd agree with the EVM-12L recommendations too. They are a big-sounding balanced speaker.

If you like the low end response of the Vintage 30 in that amp, but don't like the upper mid spike or harsh highs, then try a WGS Veteran 30.

I don't know if I agree with the WGS ET-65 recommendation. It seems to have a loose low end. Others describe it as a "round" low end. The mids don't seem spiky, but they do seem kind of thick and syrupy and the high end is fuzzy (at least compared to a "clean" speaker like an EVM-12L).

I don't think I agree with the Greenback or G12H30 speaker suggestions either. To me, it seems like most Celestions are all about upper midrange and crunchy highs. I think EL84 amps already produce enough mids and highs, I don't think you need to accent them even more with your speaker.

ruger9

ok, couple of things...

I didn't try a V30 in this amp, but have had them for years in other amps. Because this amp, being a Vox thing, has more than enough high mids on it's own, I never bothered.

Bass: I don't need a speaker with big bass. This circuit, and especially this cab- are the biggest-sounding 1x12 I've ever heard, regardless of what speaker is in it. Huge power transformers, large-ish cab for a 1x12, I usually run the bass at noon OR LESS USUALLY so it doesn't get too boomy. And I hate loose bass, but this amp has very tight bass.

I never really thought of an EV... I don't think I've ever owned a "neutral" speaker before, I know Bonamassa likes those (and Eric Johnson too I think?), and I love their tones... Eminence now has the EM12.... hmm....

Don't like the G12H30. Never have. It's a bit scooped (or maybe just mids-nuetral?) to my ears. I have ALWAYS preferred a standard Greenback to the G12h30... which is why I'm seriously considering the Creamback 65.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Weber Silver Bell. 30 or 50 watt. I use the alnico but I'm thinking the ceramic would work and sure save you some coin. One caveat being I have no direct experience with the ceramic version. Other caveat being what I think/hear is lower mids you may think/hear is bass.

hunter