Speaker without breakup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Passenger84, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Passenger84

Passenger84 Supporting Member

Hi, all. I've been using Celestion Lead 80's in a 2x12 application for apiece now, and I'm becoming not so fond of the breakup. I tried V30's and they broke up even more. Unfortunately, in some places I play, I really have to turn up loud! And I'm looking for a speaker model that flat-out will not break up; something way clear and that can handle a ton. I'd love it to have warm mids, crystal highs, tight bass, and all that, but mostly I just want one without speaker distortion. Thanks for your help, guys. I would really appreciate it.

2. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

3. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

Weber California's are a good choice. Email Ted and ask him his opinion. I guarantee you he'll have one. :)

4. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Double on the Weber California. The ceramic version is loud and clear. Great speaker!

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Eminence Swamp Thang.

6. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Member

Avoid Weber, they have extremely shoddy business practices. They once sent me a speaker with a hole in the cone, then told me to ignore it! It sounded like a, well, blown speaker. Finally, after I made a huge fuss (over three months!) they refunded my money.

7. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Man, sorry to hear about your troubles... Personally, I have never had problems with the Webers. Always professional with me. Answers any questions I've had very fast. Nice sounding quality speakers, IMO. New and recones... Around 25 or so. I sent a bunch to my good friend in So Cal and he is having a blast with the 1265, Silverbells, Blue Dogs, 1230-55 and I sent him some 10's as well.... I'll continue to do business with them.

8. landru64

landru64 Member

i've never heard a weber i liked. that said, i do have a tonker and a swamp thing in my CAE 112 cabs and have run it with my walter woods head. 1200 watts into 4ohms. so clean. so loud. never got to the point of these speakers breaking up. i especially like the combo of the tonker and swamp thing.

9. pep

pep Member

THe Emi red white and blues is great for what you described. Definitely in the EV camp but it has a little personality as well. I've played a 2x12 loaded with them and they just don't give in. They have a very smooth sound to them and work for a lot of different applications. For $65 ea. they are a steal.

10. Passenger84

Passenger84 Supporting Member

Thanks, everyone. This helps a lot. I'm hearing Eminence and Weber. I've owned governors in the past and have been very pleased....maybe I'll try the Eminence, and then the Webers. I hate soldering. :)

11. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Four to try that ae absolutely the most break-up resistant:
    If you can find one- JBL E120
    Recently reissued and available: Electrovoice EVM-12L Classic
    A little cheaper but still awesome: Eminence Delta Pro 12A
    New, but supposd to be super strong: Eminence Commonwealth 12
    Good (and less expensive)... but not quite as good a above: Eminence Red, White and Blues.

These are the cleanest, most break-up resistant speakers out there. And when you do get some tube distortion... the EV and Delta Pro 12A sound amazing.

Good luck with your serach,
    Ted

12. MLG8675

MLG8675 Member

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

Fane Alnico Blue. 100 watts of tight Alnico love. I am running a pair with my SLO in a THD 2x12 cab. Sounds incredible.

14. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Try high powered Fane speakers

15. iggs

iggs Member

My VHT 4x12 with custom Eminence P50E stays pretty clean and tight even when cranked, VHT cab as a whole sounds great, very well built and moves some serious air. The bass never gets flabby and the highs stay pretty sharp. I'm really not a fan of early speaker breakup so this cab works perfectly for me. VHT has a 2x12 version as well.

16. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

+1 on the EVM12L, unfortunatley they don't make them anymore. A suitable replacement is the Eminence Delta Pro. Like you I'm not a big fan of speaker break-up, I loaded my 2x12 with these and with my Soldano they sound great. I ran our PA thru them to break them in and I didn't hear a note of rasp anywhere and I was REALLY was hittin' them hard too. I got them from USSPEAKER.com.

Steve

17. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

+1. The Fane's hold together and still sound warm. EV's are a little less warm. JBL (or Weber Cali) sound brighter, punchier and even less warm. It largely depends on the amp, how much distortion you want and where you want the distortion to come from. I tend to prefer Fane speakers for 6l6 type amps and JBL for el-34 type amps.

18. Phloored

Phloored Member

I'd like to try:

This new 12" guitar speaker from Beyma delivers the classic sound of a JBL E120, loud, accurate and clean with a very warm/big sound. 300 watts, 4" voice coil, cast aluminum frame, 8 ohms.

19. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Actually, EV started making them again... named the EVM12L Classic. You can contact EV directly to get info on how to get one. I think they run right around $200 street price. The Emi Delta Pro 12A is a really nice sounding, very tight and clean soeaker that does remind me of the EVM-12L. They stree price at about $129. Make sure you ge the model that is teh DELTA PRO 12A... they also make a speaker with a similar name that isn't the same.

Ted

20. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

EV is making them again eh? Cool.

Thanks for the correction on the Delt Pro 12A too.

Steve