Speakers and 2x12 cabinet setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ancient, Feb 8, 2008.

1. ancient

ancient Member

Hi everyone,

Can you guys recommed a good 2x12 cabinet/ speaker setup for an unmodded Traynor 50 watt YBA-1?
    I believe the head has an 8 ohm output.

I'm thinking of an older, closed back cabinet(made from real wood)...
    With speakers that do chimey, shimmering cleans and warm, full-bodied lows that break up smooth into dirty crunch.

Any suggestions?

This is my first real tube amp... Thanks for your help!

2. justonwo

justonwo Member

Being that the YBA-1 is in the Marshall genre of amps, lots of Celestion-type speakers will work well. G12H30, G12M25s, Scumbacks, G12-65s. I bought a Weber Blue Dog and Silver Bell for my 2x12 and that think combination is fairly well balanced.

For a 2x12, I would go with a ported, closed back cabinet. Lots of companies make good ones. Port City Wave would be one to consider. THD 2x12. Bogner. Any of those would be fine choices.

3. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

I've got a VHT 2x12 (Marshall 1936 style) with the stock VHT Emis (Bulldogs?) in it that is absolutely incredible with both my '73 Superbass & my Single Recto. Sounds great, either with the closed back or half back.

Don't see 'em often, but I scored mine for $250, used.

4. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I run my YBA1 through either an Avatar 2-12 "special", open back, G12H30/V-30 or my Swanson "Hylight" 2-12 ported with Weber Thames.

I prefer the Swanson as it's a little tighter sounding.....

5. straticus

straticus Member

Same here.

I've been through lot of speakers and I keep going back (and have now settled on) the Weber 30 wt ceramic Blue Dog and Silver Bell combo. It's got everything I need, great detail, chime, punch, low end, etc. Sounds great clean or overdriven. And all of my guitars sound good through it.

BTW, I've also tried a bunch of cabs and nothing beats my Top Hat 2x12 closed back for all of the same reasons listed above. That cab and those speakers are what works for me.

6. ancient

ancient Member

Thanks guys!

Decided to go with an Avatar 2x12 Contemporary cabinet with a Hellatone 30/60 mix