speakers and a twin reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mustangman, Jun 3, 2005.

1. mustangman

mustangman Member

ok i have a 72 fender twin reverb and some people have told me that a twin reverb would eat celestion classic 30's up. so is this true? and if so what other celestion speakers and/or another brand would you reccomend for a 72 twin reverb.

thanks.

2. Reactionjackson

Reactionjackson Member

I don't know if your into the AlNiCo thing, but I have a set of JBL D120F's in mine and they sound lovely. More importantly, JBL's are build like tanks. They even made a silverface-era JBL signature model Twin if I'm not mistaken.

3. mustangman

mustangman Member

hmm i love JBL i have JBL PA speakers, the 500w ones and love them so much, anyway do the jbl's in the twin sound really warm? and where might i go about buying these?

4. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

I don't know about the classic 30s, but you would be fine with the vintage 30s in them.

If you have JBLs and the amp is working correctly, you should
    have a wonderful tone machine there.

5. Reactionjackson

Reactionjackson Member

Last I heard I beleive A Brown Soun out in California had a few left

6. Swarty

Swarty Member

JBLs were available as a factory upcharge until the mid '70s. They are not for everyone. They are real bright, have a solid bottom, but are somewhat void of mids. They are great if you have a light picking technique or use your fingers. Beautiful clean tones, but the top can be abrasive when you hit an OD pedal. Great for doing steel guitar bends and country Tele twanging, but not so great for down & dirty rock sound. Also they are pricey, a pair of good ones can set you back $500+.

7. aeolian

aeolian Member

Also, a pair of D120's in a Twin is a great way to become friends with a chiropractor. :D

8. mustangman

mustangman Member

im sorry thats what i meant the vintage 30's, yeah some people have said the sliver face would eat them up. have you had experence with them?

thanks. (everyone)

9. GeetarGoul

GeetarGoul Member

Twins are bright amps. Which is why I love the darker sound of jensen C-12N's in a Twin. They work really well together.

10. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I've heard the Weber Alnico Michigan is a great speaker for a TR.

11. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

You're either a jensen C12N man or a JBL man. I am not talking about the italian jensens. Ted Webers version will do.

12. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Vintage 30s work great in twins.
    V30s are rated at abou 60 watts each,
    so two of them would be 120 watts.

Plenty for dissapation for a Twin.

A customer of mine has been gigging
    and jamming his early 70s Twin Reverb,
    which I bullet proofed for him, for the
    last four years, about 4 - 5 nights
    a week with his--with out any
    problems!

He's in Forth Worth, Texas where they
    do the blues, country, swing and some
    country rock stuff. The jams are anybodies
    guess, but he's had no problems at all.

13. Swarty

Swarty Member

I like Vintage 30s in just about everything. Warmth is what they're all about. Some guys think they are too bright, I don't hear that...especially compared to a JBL. They have an abundance of low mids. Keep in mind that Celestions have 4 holes and Fender amps have 8 bolts, so you either have to drill holes in the speakers or cut off the bolts (I've done both).

14. Unburst

Unburst Member

I have a pair of V30's in my SF Twin and they sound great for crunchy, twangy stuff.

The JBL's that it came with sounded stellar clean though, but they died, they died.

15. mustangman

mustangman Member

so even thought my TR is only 100 watts and 2 v30's are 120, it will still work great ?

thanks again guys.

16. davebc

davebc Member

Vintage 30's came stock in my Fender CS Dual Professionals,100watts,and they sound amazing,no prob.

Now.if you could score some old D-120's!!!
    That makes the Twin a whole different animal!
    Hope you can play LOUD!

17. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Why not just unscrew the bolts??!!!

Pull the grille. You will see the fronts of the bolts. Unscrew four of them - they're left-hand threads into the wood so you have to turn them the 'wrong' way.

That's all there is to it.

Keep the bolts somewhere safe so you can put them back if you go back to 8-screw speakers.

I really cannot believe people cutting the bolts off, although I've seen many Fenders with it done. Drives me nuts. It's much harder work than doing it the right way.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yea, JBL's are classic to me, especially in silverface TR's. my mental benchmark TR was a rental i used at Calvary Baptist church, and yes, the angels were singing sweetly. :)

but another terrific fendery speaker is a ceramic Weber's California. had one in a Fargen BB, and WOW, off the hook! stout and punchie like the JBL, and yet with a nicer upper end detail that was airier and more open. and FYI, they're 80 watts each, so plenty of headroom for your TR.

www.webervst.com

19. shaun jones

shaun jones Member

My silverface has an alnico 50 watt blue dog and, a 50 watt 12A150W. Had to add a beamblocker to the bright , jensen style Weber. Maybe , should have left off the treble cone, in that speaker. Overall,very happy with these speakers in my twin. Better,IMO, than JBLs, oxfords, and other, Weber ceramics. Love the warmth and compression, when halfway cranked.:dude

20. Swarty

Swarty Member

Good tip, I guess I was thinking of earlier amps that did not have the velcro'd on grill.