Speakers are everything

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guinness Lad, Sep 10, 2017.

1. MHG

MHG Member

I really like how a company like Savage Audio have their stock Mojo speaker, but also have a drop down menu of other options......like ordering an Avatar cab. They also don't just say, "_______ is our stock speaker, but we'll load it with any speaker you want". That method can be great for the customer looking for a specific speaker, but I appreciate how Savage presents you with a fairly large variety of speakers, at various price points, that they personally feel are a good match for their amps. It gives me the impression that they've really done their homework in terms of testing their amps with various speakers, and that they appreciate the fact that there are too many variables in play for there to be a single speaker that will be the perfect match for every player.

2. ShreddyKrueger

ShreddyKrueger Member

I tried a Fender Bassbreaker 15 a year or so again, and although it was a decent amp, it didn't really inspire me to part with any cash and buy one. Coupla weeks back and a friend who owns a music store offered me one for a bargain price, and I took it on the condition that I could try it out at home for a while. As soon as I got back I plugged it in through my Suhr 1x12 and it was a revelation. Awesome amp for the price point, cleans really opened up, and it takes drive pedals incredibly well. The can made ALL the difference. At the minute I use it as my main pedal platform at home, then swap over to my Pink Taco for meatier, louder sounds.

3. Roe

Roe Member

For the sound, amp and speakers usually matter more than guitar. And the two single most important components are usually the speaker and output transformer

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  4. caspergomez

caspergomez Member

do we have a place on the forum to trade speakers? would it be under the amps and cabs emporium?

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

6. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

IMO, speakers are the first 75%, especially when recording.

7. Irreversal

Irreversal Member

My point was, if you're generally happy with your tone but find a little something missing, you can find it in a speaker swap.

Most tone chasers get locked in to this struggle of the right amp, right pedal, right pickups, and never even consider their speaker choice.

8. Bogner

Bogner Member

Maybe you misunderstand my point here...maybe I didn't communicate clearly...maybe both? My point being "speaker" as in style/type. For example a vintage 30. The builder will tune an amp to that speaker. Will that builder use the best vintage 30 available on the market? I don't know but that was what I was communicating.....speaker type, not necessarily speaker brand. Make sense?

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Piling on here I guess... yeah, I'd wager that speakers are 50% of "the amp" side of the equation. Case in point. I have a Carol Ann Tucana 3 that is a *magical* amp - especially through my Dr. Z open back 2x12 with Scumback J75LD's or my Forte 3D cab with a Scumback H75LD. Plugged that amp that is multi-channel perfection to me into my cousin's vintage 2x10 Fender cab with Jensen whatever's in it... It sounded *terrible*.

So yes - 50% of the amp sound and probably the single most important tonal influence on your entire rig.

10. haslar

haslar Member

Case in point:
    I tried a friend's MESA Stiletto head with my Scumback-loaded Rivera 4x12. Glorious, glorious tone !
    And when I plugged it into another friend's 2x12" loaded with recent Fane speakers, and it sounded bad. Like, real bad. When played alongside a cheap & tiny Blackheart 5W head plugged into a Marshall HW 4x12, the Blackheart trumped the MESA big time.
    So yeah, speakers & cabs do matter a lot !

11. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

Speakers are 48.625% of the tone - this has been proven in the lab. Seriously - I think they color the sound and attack significantly - but they can't mask the underlying amp sound and taking the same speaker across different amps will be noticeably different.

12. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

For me speakers are subjective to the owners ears but they are a BIG part in the quality of sound. When i was a kid I would always say, give me a crappy car stereo but great speakers and it will sound good but give me a great car stereo with crap speakers and it sounds like sh1t. Same thing was with my 68' Custom Princeton Amp. Great amp crap factory speaker, changed it out and now it is a super sounding amp!! :D

13. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I gotta agree that speakers make up a huge part of the equation.

A recent example from me:

I've been having a tough time with a 67' Fender pro reverb. It sounded nice clean but whenever I'd hit it with an OD pedal an irritating raspy, ripping undertone would appear. And prior to picking it up I'd read how these models have a nice natural drive tone when pushed, especially for a bf amp. With the speakers that we're in there (tone tubby red Alnico) it would be clean all the way up until it was on like 9.

So tonight I took the reds out and threw in some extra Celestions I had laying around (lynchbacks). No more weird rasp with OD and now I can push the amp into breakup at more reasonable levels. I'm psyched! I was ready to give up on the amp and blackface fenders forever but I'm really digging it with the Celestions. To be fair to the tone tubbies, I've read others describe the weird thing I mentioned being a symptom of the hemp cones needing much more time to break in and smooth out.

This is just one example I've experienced, I've gone through many a speaker wormhole with other amps

HammyD likes this.
  14. satisphied

satisphied Supporting Member

I bought a traynor ycv20 for less than 300 bucks (they cost about 700 new) and it is a phenomenal amp. I think a big part is the fact they went for a greenback instead of some crap other amp makers put in that level of amp. I use it more than the other 10k of amps I have when I actually gig.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  15. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

It's also amazing how many people will swap speakers and then declare that xyz speaker sucks......because it sounds like crap with their particular amp. But it's just as plausible to suggest that maybe it's the amp that sucks and the speaker is simply letting you hear the truth. Most times, however, I have been able to redial the amp to get the sound I'm looking for after a speaker swap.

There are exceptions, of course. No matter what I do, how I dial, what amp I use, which pedals, etc., I can never get Celestions to sound the way I want. I did once get a great tone using alnico Golds, but I ended up selling those. That was using a Mesa amp, which sounds good with many different speakers.

As much as I love and respect my EVM12L and Force 10 speakers, I have had amps that I could not dial in with the EV's. But switch over to a big magnet Weber and the amp suddenly sounds awesome. It's usually the Fender-ish type amps that I cannot get to sound good with EV, but they sound good with Eminence speakers. I could never get my Mesa amps to sound good with Webers. Even the little hybrid practice amp the Vox AD30 or AD50 would start to sound respectable when I put Eminence speakers in those. But stick some Weber or Tubby or EV speakers in there and I couldn't get rid of that amp fast enough.

The Mesa + EV combination is superb, but I can only afford used Mesa amps and I always had reliability issues with every used Mesa amp I had. That's actually why I quit buying EV speakers. The Rivera and Frenzel amps I love sound way better with Webers and Tubbys.

Ingredients matter.......

I'm guessing it was actually a YCV20WR? with the burgundy wine red tolex? I think the WR is the one that had the Greenback. That is a nice amp, I wish I still had the one I sold.

Abram4235 likes this.
  16. satisphied

Yep, the WR. It's a fabulous amp, I bought mine severely used and I think it's time to change the tank and tubes. Can't wait to get it running in tip top shape! Gotta love a 15w amp with el84s, it's prob the only amp I can really get the power tubes working indoors

soundchaser59 likes this.
  17. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Speakers can and will make or break an amp.

18. satisphied

can someone help me understand the tonal differences between 'american' speakers vs british? it seems like british gets all the cool speakers, and all I can think of for american sounding speakers are old Jensens..

19. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

I've been toying with the idea of putting a 2x12 of this combo together for a few years now. Someday I'll get around to it.

20. Sirloin

Sirloin Member

For Marshall or Marshall style amps used live with a band and current production speakers-I have determined closed backed cabs + Celestion reissue G12M Greenbacks is the sweet spot for me. (And I have tried a ton of speakers)

InAbsentia likes this.