Speakers are everything

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guinness Lad, Sep 10, 2017.

1. InAbsentia

InAbsentia Member

I’ve got a small 112 cab I got for a steal on eBay. I put a Texas heat in it and played a few amps through it. My dsl50, bugera v5, Vox Pathfinder. They all sounded so incredibly boxy and had this honk to them I couldn’t stand. Every guitar, too.

So today I remembered I have a greenback I’m not using so I took the Texas heat out and threw the greenback in there. What an insane difference. Still slightly smaller sounding because the cab is small, but now it sings a bit! Nice crunchy mids, smooth top end, and even some low end. I was gonna pack the cab away or give it away but now, it sounds really good. With every amp and Guitar. Because of a speaker swap!

2. Oatie

Oatie Member

[​IMG]

4 x 12 Bassman 5F6A cab with Celestion Blue speakers, Leo would have loved this sound. Speakers make the sound. Small Pedal Train fits on the top.

[​IMG]

I made a small 4 RCA Jack junction box w/ two 1/4" jacks, one on each end, so I can disconnect the Bassman chassis and use the cab for other amps through the Power Station. Can't wait to play it again.

[​IMG] The back top and bottom panels are the correct scale on the slots, from 10" to 12" speakers. They had to be widened as well as longer in width and slots. It looks cemetrical in the finished product.j

[​IMG]

This amp fits in a 4x12 Marshall speaker road case.

[​IMG]

I used an old stripped Bassman chassis to drill the holes in the right spot. Even the side flame and bottom flame is good.

[​IMG]
    Speaker magnets away from tubes, 11-1/2" deep top and bottom.

[​IMG]
    3 rd chassis screw for PT on underside using a Tee nut, so no hole drilled in the middle. You can just see the screw on the PT bracket.

[​IMG]

The back panels are solid flame maple milled down.
    Alessandro silver tinned OFC Teflon speaker wire into long nickel plated switchcraft RCA Jacks.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. InAbsentia

InAbsentia Member

That wood is gorgeous!

71strat likes this.
  4. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Beautiful. I am guessing that one stays home?

I am a fan of Fender amps loaded with JBL or JBL type.

Dickey and Jerry as someone said.

Nice thread.

71strat likes this.
  5. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I've had a Fender Prosonic combo for quite a while now and have always loved it, even in it's stock 2x10 configuration. A few years ago I got a Prosonic head and found a Marshall 1966 2x12 cab for it, which had some crap, mismatched speakers in it. I found some V30's for it and it made a huge difference (for the better) in the way the amp sounded. I've always read that Zinky designed the Prosonic to run thru a V30 but Fender vetoed it and went with the 2x10. By happenstance, I found a 1x12 baffle for a Prosonic (not sure, but I think it was originally for a Deluxe Reverb) on ebay, put it in with a V30, and the amp came ALIVE! I loved it with the stock speakers, but the V30 sent it over the edge for me. I totally believe what the OP is saying.

6. Sirloin

Sirloin Member

@ggwwbb I had a pro sonic head and bought the matching 412 Fender tone master cab. Guess what it was loaded with? V30s.

Never cared for the combo but liked the head and gigged with it for quite a few years.

ggwwbb likes this.
  7. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

Good points around here, speaker/cab is a large factor in getting an amp to bring out its whole goods, I found this out years ago and built up a nice collection of cabs/speakers of various config, although I have more 4x12s, and all is good except for space, they take up space and it requires investing in storage.

8. 71strat

71strat Member

After blowing a million speakers when I was young, I learned early on speakers were everything.

I got my 1st amp in 72. A Carvin ST2400. Solid State, 100w, 2 x 15 CTS. I had waited 6 months on the amp, an when I got it, I dimed it, and the speakers instantly blew. For me, if an amp comes with such, and such speakers, they better damn well be able to handle 100% of the power for hours on end, if they cant, theyre useless for me. I like at least 2x Speaker RMS vs Amp RMS. The more the better. They have to be able to take every pedal I have, with my amp at full output, and not sweat it. The amp may be ready to explode, but the speakers darn well better to be able to take everything the amp/effects, throws at them.

I got 2 Altec 418H to replace the CTS in my ST2400 in 73, and Ive had them ever since, without 1 problem. And Ive cranked the crap out of them with a 69 Dual Showman Rvb since 1973. Even though most of the time I get nowhere near the speakers design capacity. I had the amp Blackfaced, and ODS mod in 2010 by Richie Hall, and the amp is crushingly loud with the ODS mod switched on, even running an unbalanced 8 ohm speaker load.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    InAbsentia likes this.
  9. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Speakers are the sex... everything else is dinner and a movie.

71strat and HammyD like this.
  10. MixG18

MixG18 Member

yes, it seem that way, lots of people spend $2000+ a guitar, and complain a $500 AMP is too expensive.

71strat likes this.
  11. musekatcher

musekatcher Member

That's true for everything. I think a lot of folks are compulsive, and replace components that don't need it, and in some cases render a product inferior in the process.

12. Bogner

Bogner Member

I understand your point and don't disagree with you but you missed my initial point...

What I said was what the builder made the amp with. As in when the builder was creating the amp. The builder probably used a certain speaker to build the platform and test with until the amp was created and made into a model so to speak. The builder/amp designer very well could have used a Fane. I could see how you misunderstood what I said. When I said made it was the original amp, not "made" as in that amp on such and such day on the assembly line. ;)

13. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

This is true, I recently picked up a Trident and thru a v30 cab (which Mesa paired this amp with for some reason) it sounds way too bright and kind of shrill. Pair it with my Eminence v12 legend loaded cab and it hangs with my Bogner, Splawn and Budda.

Some amps are a lot pickier about speakers than others.

14. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

Ha! I can spot a Bandmate USA cab every time I see one. Beautiful work! For those who aren't aware, Jeff is building cabs again.

15. Agent76

Agent76 Member

I didnt learn this until late last year / early this year when I did a lot of speaker experimenting with several different amps. This was at least a decade later than I should have learned that. The speaker does about as much as re-eqing the amp but with some other effects to the sound as far as distortion / saturation, string separation; things that you cant adjust via EQ. Aside from your guitar and your amp / cab the speaker is the next thing with the most affect on your setup.

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  16. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

The original post, yours and many other make much sense.

I have had a similar experience with my '67 Pro Reverb. My tech is excellent and years ago when he first restored it he had me play the guitar of my choice, a 335 through a similar amp. He replaced the failing original speakers with Greenbacks. It was close but over the years I fought with the sound...searching for that last 10% of tonal nirvana. I realized whenever he played through it with the Greenbacks it sounded great. But with me not so much.

It finally occurred to me, even though we both preferred 335's, he played classic rock and blues with the volume on 7 and I play jazz and blues, mostly at home on 3. The Greenbacks were fine for him, but not a good fit for me.

I tried the Weber Ferromax 50 watt with slight doping and it is perfect. And the Greenbacks went to a fellow forumite.

I spent a lot of money chasing that last bit of tone which could have been addressed by changing the speakers. In hindsight, I should have kept the Greenbacks and put them in an open back 2-12 cabinet for those occasions when I needed to play at higher volumes....

Abram4235 and Echoplexi like this.
  17. HaroldBrooks

HaroldBrooks Member

Speakers can make a very large difference in your amp. Probably the single most difference. I can't say it could fix the poor sound from any amp, but I've never seen an amp with poor speakers get worse when you swap in something better.

It's important to get a good base tone, that is frequency response and dynamic response BEFORE you ever contemplate adding effects, or else you are ignoring the very foundation of your rig.

Speakers play heavily into this, but many guitarists still treat speaker selection as an afterthought, or figure the amp manufacturer took care of that already. But that's Not always true, sometimes manufacturers go with a speaker because of cost, or a 'big name' to help sell the amp. Not always suited to bringing out the best of their circuits. Sad in a way, but you can change all that !

That being said, always consider it may be the manufacturer of your amp had the best speakers they could find in the first place ! I never heard a Marshall Plexi amp sound better with anything other than Greenback Celestions, IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  18. MixG18

MixG18 Member

that is a great looking product.

19. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Which one? There's like 5 different ones and each sounds different, not to mention modern clones.

I agree with the importance of the speaker, but it is also extremely subjective. Yesterday I removed a V30 from a Bogner pine open back, pushed by a Friedman DSM, and replaced it with a WGS Retro. For me it's a home run. My son plays his DS 40 through a stock Creamback and he likes it, while that 'flavor' would be the last speaker I'd care to play the DSM through. It's as individual as our own voice.

haslar and northfortyrecords like this.
  20. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

I wouldn't say half. As long as they're in the ball park of what I like I'm good to go.