Speakers are everything

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guinness Lad, Sep 10, 2017.

1. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

I haven't noticed an appreciable difference between a broken in EVM 12L Classic (which I use 2 of with my Reeves) or Black Shadow EVM12L. The 300 watt version is a little bit different, admittedly. I have not tried the clones. Obviously there are different versions... but the current EVM12L Classic is my favorite.

2. northfortyrecords

northfortyrecords Member

I like the 300 watt one the best actually. It's a wee bit smoother, imho. I also really like the Force 12 tho too

fenderjapan likes this.
  3. jdalf

jdalf Member

Nice thread and topic, this is worth a listen,I think.

4. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

Blows my mind that you can go to an audio store and they have a bunch of speakers you can listen to. Walk into any guitar store and no such thing exists. If I win the lottery and open my dream shop there will be a wall of speakers to try. (yes I know cabinets have impact too, but let's just focus on speakers).

ryandfl and Mr. Drysdale like this.
  5. plextasy

plextasy Member

Concerning medium to high gain amps:

Speakers and/or the cab dimensions and construction make much more difference than the amp does. I go to my buddy's place a couple times a year for amp jams..the guy has upward of 25-30 tube heads at any given time and 14-15 412 cabs with a variety of speakers.

Sure, some amps have a very unique sound and stand out more than others (Boogie Mark series) but for the most part you can get 80-90% of the way there on most medium to high gain amps with just a slightly different tone and feel when playing into the same cab. Change the cab and it's an entirely different animal. These jams are done at pretty high volume and when you're pushing that much air, most of the amps seem to take on similar characteristics with just some variation in the low end response and midrange content. Overall, the speakers make drastically more of a difference.

Another test I did on my own:

I picked up a 77' Silverface Super Reverb last year. I love the amp but just slightly prefer my buddy's earlier non-master SFSR with CTS speakers (mine are Utahs). I was thinking it was the difference in circuit that I was liking so I borrowed his amp and ran each into the other's speakers. I liked mine just as much as his non-master when played into the CTS.

haslar likes this.
  6. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

We loaded one of those cheap egnater 1x12s with a 300 watt EV in my brothers shop for working on amps because it can handle just about any load any amp that comes through his shop is going to put out.

northfortyrecords likes this.
  7. therealjoeblow

therealjoeblow Member

Here's a couple of more videos that demonstrate the huge difference that speakers make.

I think few would believe that a vintage Hiwatt really sounds anything like a Marshall... because a big part of the classic Hiwatt sound is the Fane speakers.

In this first video you can see how different the DR-103 sounds from a Plexi when both are cranked to 11 and played into their stock cabs:

A world of difference. Not even close.

Now here's the DR-103 played into the same cab w/greenbacks as as both a Marshall SuperBass and a Fender Bassman:

In this one, the Hiwatt sounds virtually the same as the Marshall and the Bassman - it's lost all of the trademark Hiwatt character when played into greenbacks.

Here's a final video with a cranked Hiwatt DR-103 again into the same cab as a bunch of Marshall and Marshallesque amps. Hiwatt is at 2m:20s:

Again, not much difference at all, not like you hear in the first video where the Hiwatt is cranked into the Fanes, which is a *world* of difference.

Cheers
    TRJB

InAbsentia and haslar like this.
  8. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

No. There's quite a bit of difference; I've run my JMP through a 4x12 with JBLs. Metal tone city! But not Celestion tone surely.

But it's the head that makes the difference.

9. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I think it might be more like 70% - if you are gain staging the same

10. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

have they come out with a neo evm12l yet? I've been waiting patiently for a decade. Still my favorite speaker.

11. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

I've got a pile of EVM12L's, all older, including some Series II's, and have used a bunch more over the years. They're all close enough that I wouldn't be able to tell you of any differences off the top of my head. I suppose side-by-side it's possible I could tell them apart, maybe, but they're all really similar, whatever they are.

fenderjapan likes this.
  12. DrSax

DrSax Member

I'll answer that for you. It's because it's easy to generalize with amps: Fender/Vox/Marshall, same with guitars: Strat/Les Paul/Tele, same with pedals (for the most part). If you could point me to a source showing generalizations about speaker types/brands....

13. Bad English

Bad English Member

Wallet is everything.

tritone 6 likes this.
  14. Irreversal

Irreversal Member

That's because people won't take the time to learn speaker response graphs. It's much easier to jump on a forum and ask, "ABC speaker vs. XYZ speaker?" It's not an exact science, but I can get it right about 95% of the time now.

15. DrSax

DrSax Member

My point is that speakers are more difficult to understand. It's easy to hear the difference between a strat and a Les Paul. You really think if I spent time reading speakers response graphs I would have any idea at all about what it means?

I'm not saying it's not worth while to get into, I'm just explaining why most people don't spend as much time on it.