Speakers: C90 vs. Vintage 30 (mesa)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Miles, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Miles

Miles Member

Okay, bring it on.

Which is a better speaker and why?

The Black Shadow Celestion C-90 or the Celestion Vintage 30?

I've messed around with plenty of Eminence speakers, but I cannot buy anything now.

So, here is my predicament.

I have a Mesa Blue Angel combo that is utterly fantastic. It currently has the MC-90 in it. I also have a V30 loaded cab that I can steal a V30 from if I need it.

Obviously, I have A/Bed them, but a closed back 2x12 and an open back 1x12 don't really compare.

Which do you prefer?

2. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Why not spend the minute to just swap the actual speakers and then you tell us!

<--- very happy with MC90's

3. Miles

Miles Member

Because my MC90 is soldered in, and I don't want to mess w/ it yet.

I already have some general voicing differences that I've heard, but I'm curious to see what other players are saying.

Also, stupid question

How long does a speaker typically last w/ regular gig/rehearsal/practice use?

4. gregc

gregc Member

Speakers can last decades if not abused. Abuse one, and youy can trash it right out of the box.
    Solder melts fast & EZ.

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with both Doug and Greg's replies.. They last forever if they don't blow, and very rarely do they blow if you don't exceed their rated wattage.

ALSO , both speakers are very comparable and excel with certain amps. The only way to get a valid opinion on this is to try it for yourself .. Take it from someone who owns well over 50 speakers.. Its the only way to find out which you prefer in a given situation.

ERIC