Speakers/Cab for VHT SigX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nolenuttt, Jul 4, 2008.

1. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Love the amp-Not sure about my cab for it-I've been using a Marshall HW 4x12 Straight cab, stock with the Celestion heritage H's-Just not doing it for classic rock/blues/occasional harder stuff-I don't mind switching out speakers, or would a VHT cab or something else be a better match? Which cab or speakers for the best tone-Looking for a real Thump for rhythm work, and smooth but not spikey highs-Thanks for all your suggestions!!

2. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

VHT amps like VHT cabs.

The Deliverance or Fat Bottom 4x12 is the popular choice.

VHT cabs are biased toward the upper midrange and have a smooth high end. The coloration nicely compliments the Sig:X in comparison to my Rivera 4x12 with EV SROs and V30s which is flatter with a slightly laid back midrange.

The cab of choice seems to be the Deliverance 4x12 which is the less beamy of the two.

4. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost Member

i hate the deliverance cab but love the fatbottom cab. but thats because it has more balls for a gainy cab. i actually dont like either of them compared to the v30 speakers. i guess it depends what you want to play. try them out. vht is now everywhere

5. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Member

One thing to look into, the bias on some of these Sig-x amps was off a tad one way or the other from the factory. Go to rig talk .com and look into the threads about this. Several guys had to re-bias the sig-x amps to get the good tones from it.

6. vinni

vinni Member

I emailed VHT with the same question :

=============================
    Hello Vinni,

Congratulations on your new VHT Sig:X amp!

We recommend the VHT Fat Bottom or Deliverance series cabs for the Sig:X (there are no plans to make a special Sig:X cab at this time.)

If you prefer a warmer, room filling sound get the VHT Deliverance cab. It has a great old school vibe and sound while remaining tight on the low end with a smooth overall tone.

If you prefer a tighter and more focused tone that will project well and cut through the mix get the Fat Bottom cabs. The Fat Bottom is great for letting all the subtle nuances of your playing to be heard and felt, if you play heavy music this will be a great cab for you.

=====================================

Vinni

7. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

Has anyone tried EVM-12Ls? (either on their own or mixed with other speakers) I'm also curious how it fares with Celestion Blues. If I remember correctly, our own Dr. Torn sometimes uses his Sig X with a 2-12" open back cab loaded with Cele Blues. I believe he described the combo as "sublime". :phones

Also, has anyone tried a Sig X with a ported cab? I've got a Port City 2-12" OS and am curious how it sounds with a PC, Dr. Z, Hermida, etc.

8. muddy

muddy Member

i have a 2x12 mini-slant with an 80's g12s-50 on the bottom, & a weber 50watt alnico silverbell (undoped for the moment), & the tone is ex-QUIZZIT!! & the alnico hasn't even been broken in yet. btw, i added a lovep super 6 before my dirt roy in the loop (the send goes to a launchpad 1st), & the result is astounding. it completely changes the character of the siggie into another amp, more fendley than anything else. it's really opened up the 1st ch, & the 2nd to a slightly lesser degree.

but today, i tried something that just blew me away. i keep my sup6's gain at 12:30 (tone at 10:00), with a very slight boost in level above unity, & what i did was to kick in my boss rt-20 leslie (further down the loop's sig path, right before the delay into the amp's return). the result was a warm bath of clear & articulate leslie-ness! one of my major complaints with les-sim peds is that they WAY over-scoop the tone to the point of sounding like they were made by hasbro or mattel. the sup6 fills in the lower mids that les-peds all take away. in any event, this setup sounded as close to the real thing as i've ever heard (which is STILL pretty far off the mark). but the real point is nothing of the sort has sounded as usable as this. nothing.

anyway, sorry for the diversion. it wasn't worth starting a whole new thread, plus, my speakers & cab played a BIG part in making this sound happen... as you were.

ml

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I have two 8 ohm Thiele-aligned front-ported 1x12s.
    One is a Rivera TAC112 loaded w/ an Eminence Delta Pro 12A; similar specs to an EVM-12L.
    Other is a Boogafunk BT112 w/ an Eminence GB12; sort of a warmer, higher-powered Greenback.
    Both work well, but the Boogafunk/GB12 combo is really a good match clean to dirty.

10. muddy

muddy Member

oy mate, how ya makin' out wit yer new siggie? please to tell...

ml

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Well, muds, you were right (as I expected). Amp's off-the-hook good, and very intuitive.
    Finally had a chance to gig w/ it late last week and it was wonderful.
    Looking forward to recording w/ it in the next week or so.
    Finding it an easy match w/ both my main guitars and I've yet to do much w/ pedals or the fx loop yet...

12. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

One more try...

Here's a couple of speakers that I haven't heard much about when it comes to the Sig X

- Has anyone tried EVM-12Ls? (either on their own or mixed with other speakers)

- I'm also curious how it fares with Celestion Blues....I've got a Weber Blue Dog (ceramic) which is similar.

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

14. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

got it rwe333.

That's my Q in another thread. ;) Just trying to cover all bases.

15. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I've got 2 EVM-12L's on the way to load into a Port City OS 2x12. I'll be using my D120 head to flog these into submission. Not a Siggy, but same bloodline. I'll let you know how I like them.

16. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Splatt is using The Blues. I just heard a few clips but I like what I hear.

17. stratzrus

Sweet.

That combination should sound great. Keep us informed.

18. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

I'm with Stratzrus re: the EV 1-2 punch in the PC cab.

Let us know what your ears tell you...

19. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

Got 'em yesterday, two 8 ohm speakers wired in series to 16 ohms. It sounds really really good. They are very clear and strong through all frequency ranges, but never sound harsh on top or boomy on bottom. I am still getting used to just how reactive amp EQ changes are now(these fellas definitely show the most subtle changes more clearly), but for the most part, I am really digging them. I should get a chance to really beat on them next week at rehearsal, so I'll let you know how it goes.

20. stratzrus

This parallels my experience with the EV SRO/12Ls in my Rivera 4x12.

The VHT Fat Bottom 2x12 has a more pronounced midrange that I feel gives the Sig:X a little help in some subtle ways, but the EVs sounded more natural and even throughout the frequency range.

I use the EV's at home for critical listening, but use the FB cab live because the slight mid emphasis helps it to cut better.

I'm glad they're working for you.