• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Speakers combo Cannabis Rex or Texas Heat

darkstar11

Tell me what you would do with this set-up. What speaker setup would you suggest I do ? ...

This is what I have:

Amp/Cabs
(1) Deluxe Reverb '65 Combo amp
(1) Egnater Rebel 30 Head
(1) 2X12 Egnater Tourmaster Cab

Speakers
(2) Eminence Cannabis Rex
(1) Eminence Texas Heat
No Stock Fender Speaker

I will be using as needed either the R30 and the DRRI Clubs and Bars ... We normally Mic the amps.

For versatility ..... Im Trying to decide if I should load the 2X12 with both C-Rex's and then load the DRRI with Texas Heat or load the 2X12 with 1 Crex and 1 THeat. Keep the 2nd Crex in the DRRI.

Keep in mind I play blues rock and jam band stuff (Allman Bros and Grateful Dead).

I hope this makes sense... otherwise.. I will spend the day swapping speakers :beer

dave_mc

i'd probably swap them to see, it's very hard to guess what the thing is going to sound like until you try them. Some combos i've tried sounded exactly the way you'd have expected (having tried the speakers alone), while others didn't.

let me know what you think- i haven't tried the c rex but i have a texas heat. :)

darkstar11

Ya... gotta go with "my ears" ..

I do like the Crex it kinda warms up things .. less bright.

But I'd like to try the TH in the DRRI..

We'll see (or hear) soon enough

dave_mc

:)

i'd have said the texas heat even was a bit on the dark side (though it does have a little bit of nice sweet treble and sparkle) :)

MT Buckaroo

Gold Supporting Member
I've done these exercises and mixed and matched between CRex, Texas Heat, and RWB. My favorite blend in a 2x12 was the RWB/CRex. Two CRex's in a 2x12 was a bit too much of a good thing, plus those speakers are so efficient, it makes for a really loud pairing.

My approach would be to figure out which one you like best in the DRRI first, to optimize that amp, and then slap the other two in the 2x12 as left overs. I would predict you will like the CRex better in the DRRI, which leaves you with a mixed pairing in the 2x12 by default. If you have a mixed pairing in the 2x12, you can always just mike one or the other speaker - which ever sounds best with the Egnater head.

Shinequwa

I'd go with the C-Rex in the Fender, and the C-Rex with the Texas Heat in the 2x12. It was not my favorite combination, but it might just work for you. I would try different speaker combinations every week at each of our practices until I arrived at what worked for me. It's so different playing an amp in a room by yourself, and then hearing that very amp in a band context.

darkstar11

Ok been tinkering a bit this afternoon.

So I had to take the chassis out of the DRRI to Bias the amp and do some checking under the hood.

I purchased the used '65 DRRI yesterday and was surprised that it came fully loaded with JJs. I tested all the tubes on a friends Tube Tester and they are all strong. Plate Voltage was 420 (coolness)...

The original bias was 19mA so I cranked it up to 24mA.
I am buttening it back up and gonna load the CRex in there.

As others said.. I can always mic 1 or the other speaker in the 2X12.

I guess I can try the 2X12 cab in the DRRI. But the DRRI is rated for 8Ohms and the 2X12 will be 4.

THANKS

dave_mc

My approach would be to figure out which one you like best in the DRRI first, to optimize that amp, and then slap the other two in the 2x12 as left overs. I would predict you will like the CRex better in the DRRI, which leaves you with a mixed pairing in the 2x12 by default. If you have a mixed pairing in the 2x12, you can always just mike one or the other speaker - which ever sounds best with the Egnater head.
that sounds like pretty sensible advice to me, good call. Also, if it's a stereo cab, you can run the two speakers in it separately, too.

darkstar11

The amp sounds very cool with Cannabis Rex.. It is still punchy and warm.. a tad bright. I will need to see how it performs at rehearsal tomorrow.

We have a pretty big show on Friday...

MT Buckaroo

Gold Supporting Member
As a footnote, the Weber Bias Calculator says that if your plate voltage is 420 vdc, the hottest you want to bias those 6V6s in terms of staying at or under the 70% plate dissipation rule of thumb would be 23.3 mA (each). So you are right at the edge. If they are JJ 6V6S tubes, they can probably stand to be biased a bit warmer. Just pointing this out.... I know there is much debate on this topic and the 70% guideline in a Class AB amp. Not trying to get a speaker choice thread off on a tangent.

dave_mc

wow still a bit bright with the c rex? i thought it was meant to be pretty warm. though maybe it's just the Deluxe reverb is pretty bright.

darkstar11

I know there is much debate on this topic and the 70% guideline in a Class AB amp. Not trying to get a speaker choice thread off on a tangent.
Yes.. I calculated and rounded up :D ... I have spare pair of JJs when needed .. But I do appreciate the footnote.

wow still a bit bright with the c rex? i thought it was meant to be pretty warm. though maybe it's just the Deluxe reverb is pretty bright.
Yes.... I will need to play around with EQ settings. BTW, I am using a PRS DGT (Humbuckers) ..

Dont get me wrong.. I am loving the tone on the amp. Still learning the amp and it's character...

But the upgraded speaker and warmer to hot bias alone has made a huge difference.

Tonight Im gonna try with the 2X12 ! I assume the tone will be basser and warmer yet !?

dave_mc

thanks for the info :)

I'm not sure if it'll be warmer with the TH- i was under the impression the C Rex was one of the warmest eminences, but as I said, I haven't tried it. I'd say the TH is a little brighter and sparklier than the red white and blues, and i thought the C Rex was meant to be closer to the RW+B (but again, don't quote me on that, that's just hearsay).

MLC

If the C-Rex is new, it may still need to be broken in. It should mellow some once it's fully broken in.

darkstar11

Update !
The brightness I mentioned was not a issue during rehearsal. It never crossed my mind! The amp performed well at the louder volume! I had volume on amp on 8 and used my volume knob and a BB Preamp pedal (Xotic) to boost and solo. That is it....

So tonight's delima ... Playing a show at a fairly large club that I have never played before.

They are providing sound man and will surely be micing amps.

Need to decide if I try the DRRI amp or just bring my "trusty" Egnater R30 and 2X12. Which I already have tone dialed in.....

Trending Topics