Speakers for 64 vibroverb

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by coolhand78, Apr 28, 2008.

1. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

i wanna change out the speaker for my vibroverb, I'd like to get the JBL D130F, but am not sure what to look for when buying?

any advice for someone who is a little green when it comes to these speakers? ie. what bearing does the fact that it has been re-coned have on tone/quailty. etc...
    also, does anyone know of somewhere reputable that i can get one from?

any other suggestions for speakers given the difficulty of find a d130f...ev sro 15, weber????

Thanks heaps

Luke.

2. chaz

chaz Member

A recone from Weber or other reputable reconer like Orange County will sound good, but an original will sound a little better. Original cone D130F will have a cloth surround, curvalinear cone, and original JBL cones had white numbers only (no letters) on the back side of the cone.
    See 'em pretty often on ebay ranging from about $150-$200. A D-130(no F) will sound almost identical and will cost less. These have all paper cone (no cloth surround). Caution, you should dope the edges on them as they'll rip apart if you don't! They're also rated for slightly less power but I've used one for years without problems. Also your amp will be really LOUD using them! :)

3. coolhand78

4. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

I have the EV SRO 15 in mine. It's the white frame. The amp tech, who I consult with says it's his favorite 15 bar none. I love the rich sound.
    I have two more but they need to be re-coned. If you are interested send me a PM and I'll give you a great deal.

5. coolhand78

is alnico prefered over ceramic in these amps... the one it comes with is an eminence ceramic...? where as the original jbl's were alnico?

ted weber seems to think that the neo is as close as you can get to the original jbl... what are peoples thoughts on neomags?

6. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Love the SRO in mine too!:BEER
    [​IMG]

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I just had a cab made for my Deluxe Reverb to house a 15". Sort of a mini Vibroverb, if you will. I have a reconed (50 watt) Jensen C15N in it. Sounds great. I may never play it with a 12" again. For the wattage a Deluxe puts out the C15N stays pretty clean, is very "touch sensitive" and holds the bass quite well. A Vibroverb puts out almost twice the wattage. If your looking for some speaker break up, a reconed C15N or Weber 15F150 would be great. If you want real clean, with a nice tight bass, a JBL K130 (75 watts) would do. Stevie Ray used them in his Vibroverbs.[​IMG]

8. coolhand78

i think it just gets more confusing... I dont know if i want alnico or ceramic, to be honest i've never ventured into speaker territory before, I just feel that the current speaker is a little sterile...??? I run the amp pretty loud round 7... i think i'd rather hear the valves break up than the speaker... though having said that i'm sure there are some great "speaker" break up sounds...

9. Roach

Roach Supporting Member

Still possible to find a JBL D130 and get a Weber Recone. I have one and it's just amazing!! Has the alum dust cap but there's not even a tiny bit of treble spike from it. It's something special!

10. coolhand78

if i were to buy a weber is alnico, ceramic or neo recommended?

11. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    you need to form your own opinion though experience. Try two, keep one & then try another. It would be hard to beat the first speaker you mentioned but that really depends on your ears and prefrences.

A generalization is AlNiCo more Chime and bell like in the higher frequencies.

Ceramic tends to put more emphasis in the lower mids and Bottom.

Still these are only generalizations.

So try what you feel might be your top two and then off to the Emporium to try yet another.

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    GrooVey RecOrds