Speakers for 80's shred.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ed84246, Apr 27, 2008.

1. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I've got a really cool 10 watt single ended EL34 amp that a famous "V.H. type modder" amp tech turned into a little fire breathing plexi for me. Trouble is in my apartment, I can't get the master past three and although at that volume through the studios 4x12, it gets real crunchy, it just sounds dark and kind of dull running through my Shiva combo's cab at home.

I think I'm going to mirror what I used in the studio - just go out and buy a small Marshall AVT 4x12 cab because it sounded pretty good in the studio.

Just wondering though, as an option, if maybe I should get a 2x12 cab and load it with greenbacks to get me my crunchy Van Halen, Lynch eighties tones (I'm after screaming pinched harmonics here and that mid range growl) at a lower volume.

The AVT cab is not the same as a full sized 4X12 I know, and the Celestions aren't the top of the line (does anyone know which Celestions they use in these things?), but like I said, I really like the tone in the studio with it and I don't really have a lot of room in my place.

So would two greenbacks give me a more authentic eighties Marshall crunch tone than the AVT 4x12? Would the 2X12 help get the tone at lower volumes as well (the amp has a master and with the drive cranked, still grinds nice, just not as nice as with the master all the way up).

What do you think?

Budget's about 4-500.

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Yeah just grab some Greenback reissues - they'll get you into the sonic realm that you're after. They need a good a wear in time though to get them sounding right. I use to have a 4x12 cab loaded with original Greenback 25s and they provided a classic meaty rock tone when coupled with a high gain head that sounded pretty good for 80s tight pants, big hair licks.

I know there's a signature EVH 20w Greenback Celestion reissue now but I hate to imagine the price of those.

3. ungarn

ungarn Member

Check out Avatar Speakers...lots of great cabs and speaker combinations in your price range...their Hellatones are broken in Celestions and probably what you are after!

4. Crikey

Crikey Member

If part of the idea is to limit the volume, why not build or buy a large 1x12 and put a Greenback in that? Before I heard such a thing I would have predicted it wouldn't have the low end desired, but my friend's Divided by 13 CJ 11 is a 1x12 combo with a single Greenback, and it sounds huge. I was totally shocked by the piano-like bass notes coming from that speaker and what is supposed to be a tweed Deluxe-like circuit.

Anyway, a 1x12 will be less noticeable by your neighbors and the local constabulary than a 2x12, and even if you use a Heritage series 20Wer presumably your 10W amp won't threaten its life.

Good luck!

Crikey

5. Julia343

Julia343 Member

10W? That's loud.

1) Get a THD Hotplate. You won't regret it.
    2) Get an Avatar Contemporary Closed Back Cab w/ two G12M Celestion 25W Greenbacks. Pay attention to the ohm rating of the speaker output on the amp.

$379 plus shipping for the cabinet. Get the Hot Plate on e-Bay.