Speakers for a 2x10 SF Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bgio, Feb 11, 2015.

1. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

Hey guys,

Thinking of getting a 2x10 cab for a Deluxe Reverb. Currently have a JBL in the 1x12, but it's a bit fizzy when the amp starts getting overdrive and kind of want to try something different. I love the sound of 10's.

Things I want:
    Tighter bottom end
    Volume (coming from a JBL, would like to have close to the same volume)
    Fender tone

So far, I've been thinking between Ragin' Cajuns and Weber 10F150s. Can anyone lend some insight into this or tried both of them? Obviously, not everyone has tried a 2x10 DR. But experiences with any Fender-type amp with these is welcomed. Also, if you guys have any other options, please let me know. I will say that I have tried a G12H in it, and I didn't really like it. So I'd like to keep it American flavored.

Thanks!

2. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

I've run a pair of the Weber 10F150T's in a couple of my Fenders (a Vibrolux Reverb, and a 2 x 10 BMR rehost combo) and have been pleased with the results. Good tight bass without a shrill top end.

3. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

Good to know! Did you end up going with the 25 watt or 50 watt?

4. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Had this in my '76 VR

[​IMG]

5. jondanger

jondanger Member

You're going to need to make sure that the speakers you get are either 4 or 16 ohms. You can either run 2 16 ohm speakers in parallel for an 8 ohm load, or 2 4 ohm speakers in series for an 8 ohm load. The combined impedance of your speakers needs to be 8 ohms to match with the DR output transformer.

I'm not sure that the Rajin Cajun comes in 4 or 16 ohms. Weber may be able to make you pretty much whatever you need.

Edit to add: I have a WGS G10C and a G10CS in my Vibrolux reverb, and I think they deliver the three things on your list in spades.

6. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

You might try an Altec 417 in it before swapping out the baffle (btw -I like tens a lot as well). The altec shares a lo of the characteristics of the JBL but with much less of the high end buzz thing, particularly at lower volume.

7. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

Good point. Hadn't looked at the ohm ratings for the Ragin Cajuns. That makes things a little easier.

8. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

If the baffleboard is removable in your DR you can just get a 2x10 one instead of a whole cabinet. I like the Warehouse G10C speakers.

9. srmd22

srmd22 Supporting Member

I have these in a tremolux cab that I use with a couple of different fender (and other) amps. Love these speakers.

10. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    "...pair of the Weber 10F150T's" is the sort of default remedy for what your looking for - however the suggestion for the WGS G10C & G10CS is also a very solid, tone-full way to go. Weber speakers have been doing it for years - the new upstart WGS stuff is a worthy equal in performance - I have a G12Cs in my Rambler and it's a stunning speaker from high to low, great 3D tone. I have a pair of the Weber 10F150T's in my Headstrong Verbrovibe 2X10 Brown Vibroverb clone - a keeper amp if ever there was one. Good options that deliver the tone in your head from both companies.

11. blueslover16

blueslover16 Member

I have two Jensen Jet Tornados in my 76 VR. Big beautiful sound! Not to mention super light...

12. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

Thanks guys!

Looks like I am between the WGS G10C(s) and the Weber 10F150(T). Anyone that has tried both, do you prefer one over the other?

13. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Ran a Weber 10F150 and 10F150T in my BFDR for years. 50 watt no dope. It was great, but heavy. LOUD.
    "I am between the WGS G10C(s) and the Weber 10F150(T). "
    The Webers hands down. But then my Webers were real broken in and my WGS never got there for me... Frankly If I went back I would go with (2)10F150 only no T.
    I still have my speakers and baffle but cant bring myself to part with them....

BTW: if you want even MORE volume out of a BFDR, get and MXR Micro amp and run it about 1 oclock. ($35 investment!)

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I'd do a tone tubby h-bomb, one alnico, one ceramic. You'll have all tight bottom you can stand.

15. dani_boy79

dani_boy79 Member

I have converted my '76 SFDR to a head cab. and built to cabs; one is a 1 X 12" w/ Emi. Cannabis Rex, and the other is a 2 X 10" w/ Emi. Legend 1058's

...I don't have any recordings to share, but I can confirm that with the 2 X 10" cab. the sound is very tight and clearly defined. There's tonnes of Bass on tap, a decent Mid and clean sparkling Highs. My only comparison is with the Cannabis Rex, which is very warm and 3 dimensional with a little less emphasis on the Highs that the 2 X 10" combo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Very nice. What impedance is your DR seeing with both cabinets?

17. Laurent Brondel

Laurent Brondel Supporting Member

What JBL model do you have? As suggested before I would try an Altec 417-B, an EV Force 12 and an EVM 12L before swapping for 2x10". They all have a different EQ curve, are all efficient, all sound great in a DR and are less pronounced in the high end than almost any JBL speaker. The EV Force 12 is the smoothest in the high end.
    Have you tried clipping the bright cap on the normal channel?

18. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

The JBL is a D120F.

Have not tried clipping the bright cap. I like the brightness of the amp. Just don't like the fizzy/buzzy character when overdriven.

19. Laurent Brondel

Laurent Brondel Supporting Member

It's hard to be able to get both beautiful cleans and dirty tones out of the same speaker/rig, especially with a JBL. I find the EV's much smoother on the top end with overdrive, but of course they do not have exactly the same unique character as a JBL. The Altec, while in the same territory and also smoother in the highs than JBL's, has a high mids bump that some love and some hateĀ…
    Is it with the amp's breaking up, or with a pedal? For pedals I find the Dover drive, Zen Drive, Klon KTR and Jan Ray to sound good with JBL's, for a lot of dirt boxes it's hard to dial out the fizziness.
    FYI I have a pair of SFDR's in head cabs I use with JBL and EV loaded Marshall cabs.