Speakers For Blackface

LaceSensor1

Gold Supporting Member
Is there a general consensus on what speakers pair well with the blackface sound? More specifically the deluxe reverb?

I would like to stay on the cheaper/mid-range side of the pricing. Not looking for ultra new/modern technology. Just a solid pair of 12's to pair with a DRRI.

I already have one NIB C12K, maybe buy a second one of these guys? Or possible mix 2 different speakers into one 2 x 12 cab?

wyatt

There can be a bit of a trade-off...

People that like Fender cleans gravitate toward Jensens C12N's (and clones) or JBL's. They have the sparkly top end that people often associate with Fenders. But the same top end gets a little ragged and harsh when overdriven. Ideas are Jesens C12N RI, Weber 12F150, WGS G12C, Eminence Red White and Blues, Celesion A-Type, Weber California (JBL-esque).

People who like to overdrive for rock and blues often go with Celestion or similar. Greenbacks are very popular. For a while, the go to was the Reverend Alltone, C12N motor with a British cone, or simlar speakers by Weber and others. All of these speakers keep the overdrive smoothed out and balanced, but at the sake of that clean high-end. ideas are Celestion Greenbacks, Weber Greenback options (various), Eminence Legend GB128, Eminenece Private Jack, WGS Green Beret, WGSET65, Weber 12F150-B (C12N with Britsh cone), Reverend Alltone,

And, of course, there is the catch-all EV12L. Clean, dirty, low wattage, high wattage, it does it all if you have the back to carry it. Ideas are EV12L, Weber Michigan, WGS 12L

Last edited:

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
The Weber Sig12B used to be the king of screamin' bargains. With a slight price bump and shipping, it's still a good deal, but not the only game in town. The WGS G12C or ET65 are just a tad more expensive, but available through MF so you can often get them on sale and with free shipping.

swiveltung

I have tried probably a couple dozen over the years in BFDR. My all time favorite is the Emi GA SC64. It's got the fender sound, doesn't break up too early, good bottom end without being overbearing, not too bright but bright enough, good right out of the box.
Also ran:
Weber 12F150 50 watt WELL broken in.
Weber Silver Bell Ceramic 50-75 watt

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
I'd be interested in trying a Celestion A Type in that amp.

I just installed an "A" type in my friends non reverb Deluxe; along with a 5R4 rectifier. I also have a GA-SC64 in my '61 Vibrolux. I crossed the Deluxe over to the GA-SC64. While both sounded really good, I prefer the "A" type. The Emi is more efficient and bumps up the volume a bit more than I like, in that amp. It happens to work real well in the brown 6G11-A Vibrolux though.

I really like the Eminence GB128 in a BF/SF amp....big firm low end, smooth high that sparkles but is not harsh with distortion, and a warm woody tone overall. Plus with with the EV thing...if you want a speaker to do it all and do it well, an EV does that.

swiveltung

I just installed an "A" type in my friends non reverb Deluxe; along with a 5R4 rectifier. I also have a GA-SC64 in my '61 Vibrolux. I crossed the Deluxe over to the GA-SC64. While both sounded really good, I prefer the "A" type. The Emi is more efficient and bumps up the volume a bit more than I like, in that amp. It happens to work real well in the brown 6G11-A Vibrolux though.
What did you like about the A type vs the Emi? Tone wise...

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
What did you like about the A type vs the Emi? Tone wise...
The "A" type fills in some of the scooped mids of the blackface circuit; making it sound more balanced, to me. It also smooths out the highs a bit more than the Emi. The 6G11-A has more mids on tap where the SC64 sounds absolutely perfect. JMHO.

Tone Meister

There can be a bit of a trade-off...

People that like Fender cleans gravitate toward Jensens C12N's (and clones) or JBL's. They have the sparkly top end that people often associate with Fenders. But the same top end gets a little ragged and harsh when overdriven. Ideas are Jesens C12N RI, Weber 12F150, WGS G12C, Eminence Red White and Blues, Celesion A-Type, Weber California (JBL-esque).

People who like to overdrive for rock and blues often go with Celestion or similar. Greenbacks are very popular. For a while, the go to was the Reverend Alltone, C12N motor with a British cone, or simlar speakers by Weber and others. All of these speakers keep the overdrive smoothed out and balanced, but at the sake of that clean high-end. ideas are Celestion Greenbacks, Weber Greenback options (various), Eminence Legend GB128, Eminenece Private Jack, WGS Green Beret, WGSET65, Weber 12F150-B (C12N with Britsh cone), Reverend Alltone,

And, of course, there is the catch-all EV12L. Clean, dirty, low wattage, high wattage, it does it all if you have the back to carry it. Ideas are EV12L, Weber Michigan, WGS 12L

^^^ Quoted for emphasis and accuracy ^^^

My $0.02 - I like the WGS G12C for standard BF tones and I am in the honeymoon phase with the Alessandro GA-SC64 by Eminence. Nothing not to like about either speaker, but it seems like the SC64 is smoother with OD although I have no issues with the Gq2C overdriven when things are dialed in just right

Trending Topics

Top Bottom