Speakers for Carol Ann

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WinstonN, Feb 14, 2008.

1. WinstonN

WinstonN Silver Supporting Member

What speakers are the Carol Ann players using with their rig? I've read several threads discussing the virtues of various speakers with OD style amps, but not much specifically about Alan's amps.

Alan has mentioned the EVM 12L - I've got an EVM 12L in a 1x12 and I like it. Also have tried cl80 - pretty good, too - like the evm better. I have 2 Port City Cabs on the way - OS 1x12 and OS 2x12 (Daniel @ Port City is a great guy, BTW). I'm going to slap the EVM in the 1x12 but I'm looking for something else for the 2x12.

What do you think? Possible candidates are Emi Swampthing, Red White Blues, Delta Pro (but is same as EVM?). Haven't considered Celestion, except for the lead80. Others I can't remember offhand...help a brutha out...

2. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

Hi Here is what I use and really like, a Carol Ann BB style cab with EV's sounds awesome but heavy as hell, will be trying 80's in that soon just to lighten it since I gig alot, a Bogner Uber cab has x pattern of 75's and 30's (tho Alan does not recommend 30's or 75's) I hate 30's and 75's but for whatever reason it works in this cab. Lastly I also really like how this amp sounds with a avatar standard cab which has one cel g12H and one eminence governor I think (cant remeber what the emi is) also have used celestion 80's with very good luck. Hope this helps

3. WinstonN

Yeah - dagging an oversized 2x12 with EVs around will get old pretty quick. They are nice, though - tons of bottom, clear highs, very transparent, hold together well at volume. The Cele Cl80 is great speaker in this regard, as well (the Mesa version is good, too). I am going to steer away from the lower wattage Celestions (I have the 100 watt, anyway), but I do like them for other applications.

Any thoughts on CA+Eminence - there are so darn many of those and several look like good possibilities.

4. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

forgot about the Fane, Matte has a fane hiwatt cab that was KILLER !

5. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Personally, I'd stick with the EVM-12L. Another option for a similar speaker with different mid response is the Altec 417-8C with the paper dome. If you prefer speakers with ceramic magnets I recommend the Scholz Sugarcone which I've used with dumble inspired amps.

I just bought a Carol Ann and will be using it with two 2X12s, the bottom cab (closed back) loaded with EVM-12Ls and the top one (open back) loaded with Celestion Blues. I can run the cabs separately, but most of the time I run them in parallel so I essentially have a 4X12. I searched far and wide for my favorite speaker combination and this is it.

6. WinstonN

:eek: Wow! I'll bet that rig smokes! Blues work pretty well with the CA, then? I really like blues, but have always used them in open back cabs (and usually in combination with something else) - I wonder how a blue and a 12L would sound together in the front ported Port City.

7. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I haven't received the Carol Ann yet so I don't know how the Blues will sound. I've used it with my Two Rocks and they, especially the Classic Reverb, are my idea of heaven. From what I hear the Carol Ann will not disappoint. I haven't tried one but the clips sound fantastic!!! One of the clips that I heard sounded like Mark Knopfler's Komet 60s.

I always used vintage alnico speakers. When I bought the Blues I became a convert. Actually, I use both now. I think the Carol Ann and dumble inspired amps sound great with the EVM-12s. Isn't that what HAD used too?

8. snoggin

snoggin Member

I just got my Carol Ann on last week and picked up a Carol Ann cab loaded with golds off tgp. I swapped in a pair of 12 L's and I have to say it sounds awesome. I need to sotter the golds into another cab I have and try those out too.

The Carol Ann is kinda like a high performance sports car as far as my experience so far.. It responds to tweking in lots of ways with the pre gain and prescence and tone controls plus the touch sensitivity is amazing. I find I need to really know where I'm going with what I'm doing. My wife even said " Your playing sounds awesome lately , what did you do?" Whats that worth?

I have it set up in tandem with my xtc as of last night just for fun which really offers lots of levels ofgain at the touch of a button. But talk about a chewy tone for soloing and the Carol Ann is THE BOSS.

For those wondering mine is the regular and for me has TONS of gain.

9. WinstonN

This is exactly why I'm asking for opinions. As much as I like to experiment with what speakers add to an amp's sound, I guess I really want the speaker aspect to kind of stay out of the way of this amp. So far, the 12L seems to be the hands down favorite. I'm also really interested in hearing the 12L and AlNiCo combo - I guess it would have to be a gold in a 2x12, wattage-wise. Hum...

I'd still like to hear if anyone has positive (or otherwise) experience with other style speakers.

Alan, are you out there? Any pearls of wisdom?

BTW - My wife says the same thing, except substitute "too loud" for "awesome" - almost the same:rolleyes:.

10. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Right now I'm using a 4x12 with 2 G12H30s and 2 CL80s. It sounds nice, but I think I might need to go to an open back. The amp has so much low end, I think letting a little escape out the back will help.

Snider gave me an EVM-12L along with the amp, I don't really have a cab for it, so it's been sitting in the box. But it's the speaker Alan recommends, I believe.