Speakers for Engl Fireball 60 watts head

traktop

Ive got a friend that has an engl fireball 60 watts head at home and needs advice about speakers. They would be attached on a 2x12 closed back cabinet. I have got a vintage hiwatt head, but I dont know anything about engl amps sound... He use to play a blackface fender twin amp at rehearsals if that helps...
Thanks in advance.

mesa/kramer

Those amps are well known to not cut well in a band mix.
Based on that, I would go with a Mid heavy speaker like a V-30

On a side note, the Engl Fireball is about as polar opposite to a Blackface twin as one could get

traktop

On a side note, the Engl Fireball is about as polar opposite to a Blackface twin as one could get
Something like V-30´s is what I had in mind; Thanks for confirming. ;)

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
V30s and 5881s really bring out the mids in that amp. Really good clean channel and Palm mute and thrash heaven.

rsm

+1 on the Celestion V30.

I have an Engl half stack (not Fireball) with 2 E212VH cabs, that's what's in them.

traktop

Since he is not so much into heavy styles: What about Eminence Governors¿ I readed in other threads that is like an V30 without the characteristic celestion mid spike.
Cheers.

krimson

I have an Engl screamer and I won't play it with anything but Vintage 30's. When I bought it I tried it out with those speakers and it sounded great. Took it home and connected it to an ADA split cab and is sounded awful. I almost took it back then decided to try it out with the my Mesa Cab and the difference was night and day. I ended up buying the matching Engl Cab and it is a match made in heaven.

traktop

I have an Engl screamer and I won't play it with anything but Vintage 30's. When I bought it I tried it out with those speakers and it sounded great. Took it home and connected it to an ADA split cab and is sounded awful. I almost took it back then decided to try it out with the my Mesa Cab and the difference was night and day. I ended up buying the matching Engl Cab and it is a match made in heaven.
Thank you. it seems that v30s are the winners here ;)
Best regards.

wbm68

Thank you. it seems that v30s are the winners here ;)
Best regards.
Engl amps will always sound best through Engl cabs.
But they aren't exactly cheap and are heavy.
But I can can confirm V30s sound awesome. I have them in an Avatar Oversize closed back Vintage cab with a Powerball II. The Powerball is the big brother of the Fireball.
I have to say though, a Fireball is an odd choice for someone who plays Fender Twins unless he wants a drastically different tone.

wbm68

I never heard of any Engl amps not "cutting it in a band mix".
I would agree that high gain amps runing with a lot of gain generally require some more tweaking of knobs to sit well in a band mix, but that has more to do with the amount of gain, not the brand of amp.