Speakers for Fargen Miniplexi?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Craig Walker, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

I have a miniplexi on the way from dwes [thanks!], and was wondering what speakers to match with it?

I'm probably going with a Bob Burt 2x12, and have checked out Southbay's clips on his website. So far, the H75 clips catch my ear.

This amp will be used mid to high gain mostly. I grew up on 70 and early 80s rock, so that's the tone I'm after....

Thanks.

2. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

I hope you have an overdrive pedal, because the Miniplex does not have much gain on tap. I had one and sold it because it would not overdrive enough for me. I used JBLs and Celestions. JBLs sound great, but are too clean for the MP. The Celestion was a better match (Lead 80 & G12H230 were what I tried).

Maybe Ben has changed the circuit since I had mine. It has a really sweeet tone, but not enough gain for me FWIW.

3. Craig Walker

I can push it with a Blackstone i have on order.

The clips on his site sound pretty high gain to me....:confused:

4. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

G12H230

I've got a S2 micro-plexi and it has plenty of gain.

5. straticus

straticus Member

I have a Fargen Bordeaux based on a JTM 45 with el34's. I've played Bens Mini Plex's. Loved them and there's planty of gain for me.

I've been playing the Bordeaux through a Top Hat 2x12 closed back cab with a Celestion G12H30 and Weber ceramic Blue Dog for a long time. Always liked the BD but something about the G12H30's upper mids bugged me.

So I've been trying different speakers combos lately. I tried 2 Blue dogs, nice but too bright. Yesterday I put a Weber Silver Bell in with one Blue Dog and I can't quit playing the darn thing! The SB smooths out the highs of the BD but I still get the definition. And the SB adds something in the upper mids that the BD doesn't have.

I've tried the Southbay stuff (no doubt, nice speakers) and lots of other speakers but the Silver Bell + Blue Dog combo has landed me in tone heaven.

Oh, and if you ever get a chance to play a /13 Dyna-Ranger through your Mini-Plex do it. But make sure you have some cash on hand. ;)

6. Craig Walker

I've got a Blackbird coming that has the Blue Dog in it..........you still suggesting go with the SB/BD combo for the plexi?

How about the fact that I'm mic'ing it; will I pick up the tonal effect/balance you are talking about?

Any thoughts from anyone on greenbacks with the miniplexi?

7. Craig Walker

8. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

This was my experience as well.

That said ... don't rule out 10s. I ran mine through a friend's Marshall 4x10 cab and that was a TOUGH sounding rig, boy!

9. Craig Walker

10. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

I have used my Mini-Plex with a VHT 1x12, VHT fat bottom 2X12, VHT 4x12, and a Weber 2X8. It sounded the best in the 4x12 and 2x12, but it sounds great through all of them. I also use a Blackstone as well as a Fulldrive II along with it. Great amp!

11. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I purchased Ben's first Mini-plexi combo. He loaded it with a Weber Blue Dog 15 watt ceramic speaker. I've still got the amp, and I've purchased about 5 other ones since then. It records beautifully and is a keeper. Not loud enough to use out, unless everyone else knows how to turn down. You probably knew that when you ordered it. Good choice on a fine amp that you'll probably keep for the rest of your life. You can change the charecteristics of the amp by chaning the power tubes, 6L6, 6V6 or EL34's without having to re-bias. 'Nuff said.

12. straticus

straticus Member

Yes.

When I record or gig I tend to mic the Blue Dog. Sounds amazing with an SM57.

The Silver Bell is Weber's version of a greenback. I like it better then the Celestions.

13. CharlieS

CharlieS Member