1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

speakers for JTM45 clone (4X12 cab)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by killer blues, Mar 12, 2006.

1. killer blues

killer blues Member

The brands and types are mind boggling! I would love some discussion on this, and especially the eminence wizard, celestion heritage types, weber, or anything new that may be out there.

I will play blues, blues rock and AC/DC material with this rig. Les Pauls and strats.

Thanks!

2. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

I too was confused by all of the speaker types. I'm putting together a mojotone 4x12, and I decided on Webers. The price is right and they're made with love. I have 2 Silver Bells and 2 Blue Dogs on the way. For your purposes, you may want to go with straight up Blue Dogs. You're right though...there are too many choices. I won't have the cab up and running for another week or so, but I'll report back as soon as I get an idea of how the speakers sound.

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

I would guess 25w Greenbacks would fit the bill. That or a set of AlNiCo Blues. You could also try Tone Tubby ceramics. I've got a single in a 1x12", and it sounds great. Hemp cones. Mmmmm.

4. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

5. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Scumbacks!

I have an early 70's Basketweave cab that is loaded with two H55 and two H75 Scumbacks. My Rockytop JTM45 clone sounds great with that cab. :RoCkIn

I also have a Tone-Tools 1x12 loaded with a Scumback H75-HP. Plus, I am in the process of loading up another Marshall cab with four Scumback M75 speakers. Can ya tell that I like Scumbacks? ;)

Jim of Southbay Ampworks is one of the really good guys. Give him a call or shoot him an email. He is very helpful.

6. Roe

Roe Member

weber ceramic blue and silver

7. Roe

Roe Member

g12m 75hz: southbay or alien/mcgourty
    g12h 75hz: southbay

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Yup. And thanks to some healthy enablement from my pal Chet here, I run the same.

9. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

How about some alnico Red Fangs .

10. killer blues

killer blues Member

Thanks for all the replies. As I expected, everyone has their preferences. I am leaning toward 4 celestion blues, Id love to hear from somone else who has this setup.

11. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I had a cab with four blues didn't keep it though. Very loud. Also smooth with creamy highs and sweet mids. Bass was a bit weak and didn't have much crunch. I like my BB with two blues open back very bluesy. The 4x12 just wasn't gonna get much use with any of my heads so I took it apart.

12. bvmjethead

bvmjethead Member

enie, menie, miney, moe

Generally speaking within each price range I'm utterly convinced it's 6 of one and half a dozen of another.

I bought some Celestion Heritage G12H's for my 2 x 12 slant cabinet....

13. Matt H

Matt H Guest

excluding the bit about not wanting high spl speakers, I'm going to second the red fang suggestion... maybe mixing a pair with some g12h30's for some more low end.

14. Roe

Roe Member

alnico is no good for ac/dc stuff.

15. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

I've done alot of speaker swapping with my Germino's, especially the Rockgrinder (Classic 45 forerunner) and I found that the stock UK Celestion Greenbacks sounded best. I didn't like the G12H30's or the Blues'. I haven't ever used Scumback's but I hear alot of good things about them. I would say that as long as you stay in the Celestion Greenback area you'd be happy. The only other speaker I'b throw out there would be the Eminence Tonker's, killer speakers in closed back 4X12's!

Scott

16. Roe

Roe Member

for semiclean stuff: alnico blues
    othervise: 2 g12hs 75 hz (southbay), 2 ceramic blue dogs or ceramic blue dog and c1230-55hz combo

17. Roe

Roe Member

yes 16 ohms generally sounds best with marshall - at least if you have a good tranny. I've not tried the 75 and 55 combo my self. some peope like it. the 55 is good for strat players. it's also good if you combine it with a blue.

18. tybone

tybone Member

I use a bunch of speakers in 2x12 configuration with my blues breaker combo. It depends on what tone I am going for.

Here are a couple of clips of the amp. One is done with tone tubby alnico papercones and the second is done with one weber 1230-55 and a scumback sa12h-75. The scumbag was miked and is what you hear on the clip.

http://member.newsguy.com/~tybone/Sounds/TTPC.mp3

http://member.newsguy.com/~tybone/Sounds/scumback.mp3

For the 4x12 stuff I use what has been affectionatly called the H-Bomb. That is 2 tone tubby ceramic hemps and 2 alnico hemps in an x pattern.