Speakers for Mesa Stiletto? Greenbacks for high gain?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ibanez4life SZ!, Jun 13, 2008.

1. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Hey guys!

I'm ready to ditch my Mesa Traditional 4x12.....not really digging the V30s anymore...a little too piercing with the Stiletto. All buzz saw, and I know the Stiletto can do better....it sounded better with the 4x12 Bugera cab I messed around on once :crazyguy

So, I'm looking into alternatives. I'd like to keep the price as low as possible, without buying junk.

I've always been happy with Avatar, so I honestly think I'm going to go with one of their vintage cabs. From what I have had from them in the past, I believe they hold up with Mesa's cabs no problem. Anyone think I should do otherwise?

Now, what speakers would you recommend for the Stiletto? I'm very curious to try Greenbacks, but hear some people complain about them for high gain. How do they hold up? I've heard some modern bands use them live, and they sounded outstanding....

All help is REALLY appreciated!

Thanks much!

2. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I just posted this recommendation on another thread.

I've had an Avatar Vintage 2x12 (up until this week), for 1.5 yrs. It was a great cab and I loved the tone of it over a Port City Wave 2x12, PC OS 2x12, Heritage 2x12, Freda 2x12.

But...I gotta tell you, my new StoneAge 2x12C blows it away. The Avatar had "hot spots", certain dominant frequencies, it sounded buzzy and fizzy, and mushy compared to the Stoneage. Of course, I never realized any of this until I got the SA. The Stoneage cab has better clarity and note definition, tighter bass that holds together, less fizzines coming through. Reverbs, delays and effects in general sound better also. It has a 5.5" opening in the back.

Of course, I'm pretty sure the Avatar was a Mojo made cab.

My favorite british speakers (after trying dozens) are:
    Eminence Private Jacks
    Scumback M75's (M75-HP's)
    Celestion Heritage G12-65's
    Celestion Reissue Greenbacks

I have not tried the Heritage G12M's, Mojotone BV-12M's or any other Webers (well except for the ceramic Silver Bell, 50watt). Hope this helps!

3. FPFL

FPFL Member

I use a VHT Deliverance 4 x 12 with my Ace, the cab is one thing that survived my briefly and unhappy period with a Deliverance half-stack. Couldn't bond with the Dev head but LOVED the cab.

As an aside, I've got beam blockers on the top half of the cab only - but for british sounding high gain, its a great cab and I prefer it over the Mesa Trad, which I also ran for a couple months with the Ace.

Backstory- My singer has a DR half stackand was on a haitus from playing while we focused on melodies so I stole his MB cab to experiment. The result - VHT is Warmer/Smoother than the Mesa. Not as much bass or as tight a response, but by no means flabby.

I'm a high gain guy but a little more vintage than modern, aka not a drop C NU-style player, I'm usually in E flat. I like some thump in my sound for sure but I don't want to overpower a bass player. Late 80's to today Adrian Smith is one of my big sound role models. Ballsy british, and with some thud when you palm mute but not a ton by default.

If I wanted tons of low, tight bass for drop tunings and modern metal sounds, the Mesa is a good fit. For a high gain but more round sounds and less of a bass focus the VHT is less aggressive but more "beautiful" if you will.

The webers are no joke either and for a few bucks I think they improve a lot of cabs room sound for un mic'd gigs.

4. Figher53

Figher53 Member

If I was playing high gain, aggressive music the Greenbacks wouldn't be my first choice in there. Don't get me wrong, they're great speakers. I've got them in 2 of my cabs. But the low end doesn't stay as tight as you'd probably want it to for that genre of stuff. The bottom end is a little looser on the GB's. You're probably better off with the Heritage G12-65's or something of that ilk.

5. shibby

shibby Member

I use a splawn 4x12 cab loaded with Greenback RIs for my stiletto ace. huge improvement over my previous avatar 2x12 cab with a v30 and g12h30. warmer, smoother, crunchier. I play heavy rock, use tite gain mode for OD tones. greenbacks are perfect for the stiletto IMO for rock.

6. Crikey

Crikey Member

How much power does your Stiletto put out? The Greenbacks are pretty low-wattage speakers; depending on which of the two Heritage and one Classic series Greenback reissue models you are talking about, your 4x12 will be rated for 80, 100, or 120W. If you are cranking a 100W head, you'd be safer with speakers that handle more power. By way of example, I've heard that "100W" Marshall heads pretty regularly put out 190W when cranked.

Crikey