Speakers for my Germino Club 40: Heritage 65s versus Greenbacks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cg, Sep 30, 2008.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

The cab I bought has Heritage 65s. I love classic tones - Zep, Black Crowes, Hendrix, etc. Are Greenbacks and Heritage 65s similar enough that I wouldn't notice a big difference? Can anyone take a shot at comparing the two? I wish I could A/B them.

2. msgdsrf

msgdsrf Member

I don't find then to be very similar. The Greens have a classic crunch that's part of the classic sound, the 65's will hold together. Heritage 65's whille an awesome speaker, sound a bit more assertive and clear and with less crunch in there breakup. For the tunes your mentioned I'd personally go w/greens.

3. trwigg

trwigg Member

I just booght a Club 40 combo and asked the same question that you are asking and Greg said the Heritage 65 was the way to go for those tones. I had always thought that Greenbacks were an essential part of "the" sound we all crave but I am going with his recommendation for now - I may change the speaker after I get it and try it out. I just happen to have 2 Greenbacks to swap out the 65 with.

4. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Personally, I find Greenbacks to be too mushy in anything smaller than a 4x12. In a 1x12 or 2x12, especially open-back, I would stick with the 65s or some Scumback Hs. If you're running a closed-back 4x12, Greenbacks are definitely the way to go for those tones (I like Scumback Ms the best).

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Scumback M75's are better then the Reissue Greenbacks and the G12-65's IMO. Glassier cleans and better "vintage" crunch. Go for the top, don't waste your time or money on anything else. I'm using the M75-HP (65 watters) in an open back StoneAge 2x12C and they have punch!!

6. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Yes they are similar enough. You've got a great set of speakers in that open backed cab. closed back greenbacks are nice, scumbacks are nice as well. if you use pedals for dirt then the scumbacks are great, however I often crank my amp and control the volume from the guitar and I like the way the reissue greenbacks break up with the Club 40. Honestly, I actually like greenbacks better than G12-65s and heritage G12Ms. But I like fat warm fuzzines around the notes and I felt like the greenbacks, although clearly not as tight on the low end (but tighter than heritage G12Ms) give a nice singing lead with a cranked Germino.

But really, the differences are subtle in a band setting between the heritage G12M, greenbacks and G1265s. I dont have dog ears, but they sound very similar to me when a band is pyaing. The heritage G12Ms are most articulate but have no defined low end, the G1265s have that Jimmy Page high end thing going and less warmth , and all three speakers are close in volume with the heritage G12M 96db and the other two 97 db if I remember right. The scumbacks sound great too, but I felt that they dont break up in the same way, but maybe my ear is trained on greenback reissues. All of these speakers are overlapping to a large degree though and you'll get killer tones with all of them

7. thegame

thegame Member

When comparing speakers of similar spec, don't assume a more 'vintage' direction is better for everybody.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Thanks, "thegame", but I was assuming nothing. I was directly speaking to the OP. Call it what you want, but the Scumbacks just sound better. The very first thing the OP states in this thread is: "I love classic tones - Zep, Black Crowes, Hendrix, etc". No need to dance around the issue, I am being as forthwright and honest as I can based on my personal experience.

9. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Jamison-

Where do you typically run your volume on the C40, and what types of guitars do play? I'm curious, as I have not tried the HP M-magnet Scumbacks. I love the Ms at lower volume, but find them way too mushy when pushed, especially in an open-back cab (which is my preference).

10. talpa

talpa Member

I use well-worn in ('82 era) G12-65s, highly recommended at all volumes and guitars. I think vintage tubes helps, but all types sound well KT/EL/6V6 go figure. 4x12 or open back ('82 4104, I use the cab alone w/ the C40 sometimes). I haven't found a bad combo using old 65's. Maybe it's the worn in cones ?

But I definitely want to try old Gbacks one day.