1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speakers for Pinstripe 4x12 cab ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Anje, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Hi

I have an old Marshall Pinstripe 4x12 cab that is currently empty, and I'm thinking about which speakers to put in it..

I allready have some other basketweave cabs with Pre-Rola G12m25 lead and G12H bass cones and Hiwatt cabs w/ Fane that cover good old Rock perfectly, so I'd rather like to have something different
    I'm right now thinking about using the pinstripe cab mostly with one JTM50 and one Selmer T&B (croco period) for great crunchy bluesy tones

What speakers would you suggest ?
    I was thinking about Webers Blue Dog or/and? Silver Bell ? Alnico ?

any input greatly appreciated thanks :)

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

My first choice would be four old 15 watt Celestion Alnico speakers the silver ones without the rear cover. Next to that would be four Celestion Blues I had a Marshall cab with four blues sounded amazing but it wasn't assigned to any one amp and I needed the blues for BB combo so I ended up taking it apart. If I had a JTM50 I would use Blues. I think with your other amps covered this would give a unique sound.

3. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

thanks for the input
    You would prefer the Celestions Blue to the Weber Silver Bell and Blue Dog ?
    (in fact I first thought about the Silver Bell because they are described as kind of "reissue" of these old grey Marshall alnico..?)

edit: also I thought about original G12m 20w, but appart the fact they're not really easy to find how would they sound compared to the G12m25 ? was afraid it would sound too close to give something really different..

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have a Blue Dog/Silver Bell alnico cab sounds good doesn't sound as good as two Blues. I really only know what the Vox alnicos sound like I think they are closer to well broken Blues then the Silver Bells but my experience is limited and not a A/B test. I have never heard the 20 watters but like you I would want something different then I already have and like you I have a pre-rola 25 watt cab.

5. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

6. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

btw has anyone tried the Tone Tubby alnico hemp cone speakers ? do you think they could be a good option here ?

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I've tried 'em. I found them to be bright and fizzy.

8. Roe

Roe Member

To my ears a silver bell and a celestion alnico blue reissue sound clearly better than two alnico blue reissues.

9. Roe

Roe Member

I'd recommend:
    - two silver bells, one alnico and one ceramic
    - two blue dog, one alnico and one ceramic

Place them in a X pattern with the alnico speakers on top.
    Chose 15 or 30 watt speakers. If you use 15watters, you could try a celestion alnico blue (or two) instead of the blue dog.

10. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

thanks, very interesting :)

what would be the difference in sound between 15 and 30w ? any advice in this case ?

11. Roe

Roe Member

15 watt - bright, chimy, voxy
    30 watt- darker, smoother

12. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

TT aren't bright and fizzy and I have 6 but I seem to say this every time you post that nonsense.

;)

See my Silver Bell is a 60 watt so that it might not be even close to the sound of the 15. There are a bunch of name players on this board who would back me up that four Blues are made in heaven. This thread is not likely to bring them out. Blues have a warmth and smoothness a singing soprano that I haven't heard in any other speaker. TT are altos deeper warmer and sexier then blues. I wish there was a real 40 watt version of a Blue that sounded like the 15. That's why you might want to take advantage of of the fact your loading a 4x12 you have a safe 60 watt cab with four blues. :)

13. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I have to say that 4 Blue is tempting.. :)

btw if anyone can be interested in it, here's what Ted Weber answered me on this subject:

"For a 4x12, I would use two 30 watt AlNiCo Blue Dogs on top and two 30 watt AlNiCo Silver Bells on bottom, both lightly doped."

14. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

15. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

BTW,
    4 blues would be awesome

16. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

yep the Blues are tempting me more and more...

btw I've changed the title if that can bring more opinions here :D
    and just for fun here's one pic of the cab :)

[​IMG]

17. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

btw what do you think about the possible combination: 2 Blue at the top and 2 Greenback at the bottom ?

strangely enough I didn't thought about this combination before :idea:

could be a good first try cause I think I should have 2 G12M25 pre-Rola laying around somewhere :) (bass cone if I remember correctly..)

18. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Actually I tried that with a regular cone reissue GB and it sounded pretty darn good. I imagine it would be even better with 55 Hz cones. If you have the Greenbacks you could always try that first and see if it isn't unique enough to satisfy.